Silence is Violence: Speak Up to Eliminate Racism!
Sign the Silence is Violence Pledge!
The YWCA Greater Harrisburg is dedicated to eliminating racism, and we seek to bring people together who share that commitment.
Join us by signing the Silence is Violence pledge, so that together we can eliminate racism.
In signing the pledge:
1) I understand that racism is a form of oppression, combining racial prejudice with institutional, systemic power.
2) I recognize that racism is real, operating at the individual, institutional and systemic levels to produce vast disparities for people of color.
3) I acknowledge that silence is violence – refusing to talk about racism is the equivalent of continuing to subject people of color to mental, physical and emotional harm.
4) I promise to engage in meaningful conversations about racism by listening, educating myself, and challenging my own racial prejudices in order to deepen my understanding of my own racial identity, the racial identity of others and the dynamics of race and racism in our country.
5) I commit myself to working to eliminate racism in myself, my family and my community, by interrupting statements and behaviors, and challenging policies and institutional structures.
Share how you are taking action to eliminate racism in the comments below!