In Protest Of Short Term Rental Regulation In Summit County, CO
Please sign this petition if you, the property owners of Summit County, are AGAINST the implementation of a required county permit to use your home as a short-term rental in Summit County, CO. At the time of this petition please note Summit County does not know how much they will be requiring for yearly permit fees: furthermore, there are no caps on how much they will charge and they have no current plans of informing homeowners of these new regulations until AFTER the commissioners have passed these regulations. At this time the county has no intention of running a formal survey for community input or an economic impact study. You can find additional information as posted by the county at http://www.summitcountyco.gov/1221/Short-Term-Rentals
Letter of Explanation:
To Whom It May Concern:
The Summit County Commissioners have initiated an order to regulate the use of all short-term rental homes in the unincorporated areas of Summit County. These unincorporated areas are virtually All of Summit County except Breckenridge and this could greatly impact the use of our homes, townhomes and condos, even if they are a member of a PUD or an HOA, etc.
For example, in Copper the homeowners of Copper already pay a “Lodging Surcharge” for short term rentals to The Village at Copper in the amount of 4% of Gross Rentals. See Addendum at the bottom of this page which is taken directly from the Copper Mountain website.
As you will see, Copper property owners are already paying a substantial “Surcharge” within the Copper Mountain Resort and PUD. I believe this would and should exclude at the very least the Copper Community from any additional regulation or surcharge at the Summit County Level (not unlike Breckenridge).
Many of us purchased and built our homes with the idea of the short-term rentals. If these regulations are voted in, it could have an economic impact, plus given the surcharges already being paid as noted above creates an unnecessary cost that should not apply to those of us in Copper in my opinion (and I hope you agree).
I have attended the first two meetings, and only a few “planning” meetings are scheduled before this reaches the “Action Item” list of the Summit County Commissioners on August 27, 2018. “Get ready” as we were told by Don Reimer the County Planning Director at a recent poorly advertised open forum, “Action is coming and the County Commissioners want this enacted by late September/Early October” he said. Time is of essence and running out before this becomes law! Although many of the proposed regulations are advertised as common sense, there are many that will have a huge impact. To name a few...
1) Limit of number of guests to only 2/bedroom plus 2/home (i.e. If you have a two bedroom home you will only be allowed a total of six people at your residence).
2) Limit the number of parking space to 1/bedroom with a minimum of 2 parking spaces for the unit and a max of 5 cars total.
3) Unknown yearly renewal fees. They are estimating at least $200-400/year but they do not have any solid bids from outside companies that will be overseeing these permits.
4) 4) Property manager must have 24/7/365 availability as well as driving distance restrictions from Summit County (currently they are discussing a requirement that any property manager must be within 30 miles of the property).
Given that many if not most Owners live out of State, I urge you to SIGN below in protest of this proposed regulation, potential tax and license fee. Please get involved and SIGN this petition.
Additionally, please pass this information on to any other Owners in the Community!
County Planning Meeting - 8/27/19
To Contact the Commissioners:
Summit County Commission
208 Lincoln Ave.
Breckenridge, CO., 80424
Meetings: Citizen Comments may be limited to 5 min. -- 2nd and 4th Tuesdays every month @ 1:30pm
Commission Meeting Rm., 208 Lincoln Ave., Breckenridge, CO. 80424
Thomas C. Davidson, Dist #2, 970-453-3413
Kam Stiegelmeier, Dist #3, 970-453-3412
Dan Gibbs, Dist #1, 970-453-3411
For Written Correspondence: P. O. Box 68, Breckenridge CO., 80424
Please get involved!
... George Rosel (home owner in Lewis Ranch of Copper Mountain)
Copper Mountain Resort Association / The Village at Copper Assessment, Dues, and Surcharge Rate Structure December 5, 2015 Copper Mountain Resort Association – The Following fees are applicable to all areas of Copper Mountain 1) Resort Association Surcharges – This is a Commercial fee applicable throughout all of Copper Mountain a. A 4% surcharge Assessment on the sale of all retail goods, food, beverage, services, and rentals of equipment, within Copper Mountain which may include, by way of example, and not by way of limitation, sales that are subject to the Colorado Emergency Retail Sales Tax Act of 1935 (as amended or replaced from time to time, together with all regulations promulgated there under.) b. A 4% surcharge Assessment on the rental of short-term lodging units within Copper Mountain which may include, by way of example, and not by way of limitation, sales that are subject to the Colorado Emergency Retail Sales Tax Act of 1935 (as amended or replaced from time to time, together with all regulations promulgated there under.) This includes VRBO type of rentals as well as those from a property management Company. c. Copper Mountain Resort has agreed to assess and remit a 1% surcharge on all window lift ticket sales. 2) Resort Association Residential Dues
- This is a Residential fee applicable throughout all of Copper Mountain, which is applied to any and all properties with beds that are used for either residential, commercial or a combination of both. a. Residential dues are per the amounts (based on a bedroom count) as specified in table below; Number of bedrooms Annual Rate Studio/Lodge Room* $67 1 Bed Room $123 2 Bed Room $175 3 Bed Room $228 4 Bed Room $280 5 Bed Room $333 6 Bed Room $385 7 Bed Room $438 For each additional bed room add $52.00 * A Lodge room is a standard hotel room regardless of bed configuration. A hotel room or suite with multiple bed rooms are charged the Studio/Lodge Room rate x the number of bedrooms within the suite. A lodge/Hotel room with a full kitchen will be assessed as a “Bed Room” within the rate structure as defined above.
3) Resort Association Commercial Dues
- This is a Commercial fee applicable throughout all of Copper Mountain a. Retail/Rental/Real Estate Sales Office - $.53 per square foot b. Food and Beverage - $.31 per square foot c. Minimum Commercial Dues Rate - $300.00 per year d. Associate Member Rate – $300.00 per year. This is for businesses located outside of Copper Mountain.
Business must call for parameters and availability e. Service Rate - $660 per service unit per year. Some businesses have multiple service units.
• Qualifications for this category are either: i. Revenue generated by the business does not pay a sales tax or use tax ii. The business is not contained within walls and square footage of a space cannot be defined.
• The number of service memberships within a business is equal to the number of different business units or services within said business. f. Non-Profit Rate - $50.00 per Year g. Event venders – Pay the appropriate surcharges and may be required to pay an event fee h. Office Space – No Charges
2. Village at Copper - The following fees are applicable to all properties determined by document to be a member of the Village at Copper. For a listing of the Village at Copper properties, see at the bottom of this page*. These fees are in addition to those assessed by the Copper Mountain Resort Association.
1) Annual Real Estate Assessment, Commercial Assessment This fee is applicable to all commercial businesses, not including lodge rooms (see #2 below), within the Village at Copper. This fee is assessed by square feet to the entire Commercial Space. Zone 1 - $3.00 per square foot
Zone 2 & 3 - $1.50 per square foot 2) Annual Real Estate Assessment, Commercial Lodge Room
- This fee is applicable to Commercial Lodge rooms (hotel rooms) within the Village at Copper. This fee is assessed by square feet to the entire Commercial Space /Lodge Room. The rate applied depends upon what “geographic zone” the business is located.
Zone 1 - $1.50 per square foot , Zone 2 & 3 - $.75 per square foot 3) Annual Real Estate Assessment, Residential
- This fee is applicable to residential units, such as condominiums, townhomes, duplex +, and single family homes within the Village at Copper. This fee is assessed by square feet of the residential (Heated) space less the amount of “Residential Dues” charged by the Resort Association.
The rate applied depends upon what “geographic zone” the residential unit is located. Zone 1 - $1.50 per square foot Less the Resort Association Residential dues for that unit
Zone 2 & 3 - $.75 per square foot less the Resort Association Residential dues for that unit 4) Annual Real Estate Assessment, Unimproved d Property – Residential or Commercial - This fee is applicable to unimproved properties within the Village at Copper. The rate applied depends upon what “geographic zone” the business is located. Zone 1 - $.15 per square foot Zone 2 & 3 - $.075 per square foot 5) Resort Parcel
– This is a fixed rate fee paid by the Resort Operator 6) RETA – Real Estate Transfer Assessment
- 1.5% of the sales price is assessed to all Improved and to all Unimproved properties located anywhere within the Village at Copper. This applies to the initial sales as well as all subsequent sales of the same property. Note; Per the 2011 PUD, All future development at Copper will be assessed a RETA regardless of being designated within the Village at Copper or not. * Listing of the Village at Copper properties as of December 1, 2012 are as follows by Zone: Zone 1 Zone 2 & 3 Copper One Union Creek Townhomes
Mill Club Union Creek Townhomes West Tucker Mountain Lodge The Cirque Copper Conference Center The Cash Taylors Crossing
Lewis Ranch – All properties Passage Point Union Creek School House/ K Lift Chapel Lot, Parcel MN
Parcel B, a portion of Lot 2 Copper Commons Lot, Parcel H, Lots 15 & 16
Sky Chutes, Parcel R, Lot 3, Block 2
A lift Residential, Parcel