SMART Trash Program for Sharon
We the undersigned, residents of Sharon, Massachusetts, are in support of Sharon adopting a SMART (Save Money and Reduce Trash) program like 140+ other towns in Massachusetts. The purpose of this program is to address concerns relating to:
- Sustainability. Less solid waste would be generated.
- Economics. A modest trash reduction of 25% (SMART programs often do better than this) would reduce Sharon’s disposal cost by $81,000/yr.
- Equity. Like a utility, if a household generates less, it would pay less.
- Public health. Emissions of hazardous air pollutants, heavy metals, and toxic soot from incineration would be reduced.
- Safety. Truck drivers would be safer by using automated trash collection.
A SMART program would provide every household with a free standard 35 gallon cart for weekly automated trash collection to complement the existing 95 gallon recycling carts. Residents are encouraged to recycle more, compost, and reduce waste generated. Overflow trash options would be available for purchase.