SAVE SHOREHAM'S LOCAL SHOPS & OUR FUTURE. SAY NO! to more supermarket developments in Shoreham
Save our local shops – We say no to supermarket developments in Shoreham
Sign to support Shoreham's local economy and say no to a planning application for a huge supermarket development near the Civic Centre site.
Shoreham is losing its unique identity.
So far it has Mcdonalds, Subway, WHSmith, Dominoes Pizza
and now...Tesco is pushing for yet another store at the Greenjackets
while Morrisons plan to build a huge store at the Civic Centre site
THESE SUPERMARKETS WILL NOT -
- Create jobs but will take quality jobs away and replace them with fewer, poorly paid ones or none at all (through Workfare and self-checkouts)
- Increase footfall in centres but will divert trade away from them endangering the local economy and the community.
- Help the environment but will increase traffic, congestion and pollution
- Support the local economy but will exploit suppliers, farmers and workers locally and globally
- Maintain sustainability but will take valuable land that could be used for essential needs like housing
Given these reasons we believe that rather than accept this planning application Adur District Council should consider alternative more sustainable uses for the site such as much needed housing (as brown belt brown like the Civic centre should be used at every opportunity rather than expanding out into green areas in the countryside).
Not accepting this application would also mean Adur Council is supporting local shops and the vitality and uniqueness of Shoreham that in turn will bring new businesses, ensuring money is circulated in the local economy. To gain Eco Town status for Shoreham the Council should be trying to reduce its CO2 emissions not encouraging car use by approving another supermarket that will have a detrimental effect on the environment.
We, the undersigned, call on Adur District Council to reject this application for a supermarket development near the Civic Centre site and in doing so ask them to support Shoreham’s local economy and a sustainable future.