Save North Carolina Deaf Schools!
334 people have signed this petition. Add your name now!
334 people have signed. Add your voice!
Maxine K. signed just now
Adam B. signed just now
This petition is in regards to students at the Eastern North Carolina School for the Deaf (ENCSD) in Wilson and North Carolina School for the Deaf (NCSD) in Morganton are in danger of closing by the end of the year.
Why are Deaf Schools Important?
1. Deaf school provide a language rich learning environment for Deaf students, where students can engage in direct conversations with their peers, teachers, and others within the school environment.
2. Professional in Deaf schools have a wealth of experience and knowledge in working with Deaf students.
3. The only way for Deaf students to gain full access to the communication in the classrooms would be if the teachers and classmates become fluent in American Sign Language (ASL), and use it in all communicative acts.
4. Deaf students should have the opportunity to collaborate with their peers and to fully participate fully in the classroom, just like the hearing peers do in spoken English classrooms.
5. In Deaf schools, these friendships are built through shared experiences in classrooms, fun events, and being on school sports teams. Friendships are deepened by sharing feelings, helping each other solve problems, and supporting each other.
6. No Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing Child Left Behind.
According to Parents, "NCSD offers their kids the ability to learn and interact with other deaf people. Closing the NCSD would be devastating."
Please sign this petition to show YOUR SUPPORT of ENCSD and NCSD STAYING OPEN!
Deaf Unity Now