Save Wrightsville Beach Art Co /Say NO to Fast Food Chain
**PLEASE HELP SAVE WRIGHTSVILLE BEACH ART CO**
As the only art gallery and studio on the island, this small, local business brings Creativity, Culture, Art and Local Flair to our little beach town, as well as the important public service of helping keep our beach & town cleaner.
On 9/8 the WB Board of Aldermen voted in favor of a permit application for a Charlie Graingers franchise to operate in the town of WB. The chain restaurant is pursuing a space currently leased and occupied by Wrightsville Beach Art Company. This will force the gallery out of its lease at a location valuable to the business, with nowhere else to relocate. Almost two-dozen spoke against this, and no one rose to speak in favor.
Tell town officials we don't like pushing out small, one-of-a-kind businesses that give back! While town boards can't and shouldn't dictate free enterprise, they DO have RESPONSIBILITY to the good of the town, and the interest and desires of its citizens; which is why there are zoning and permit applications are required. If we say 'yes' to everyone, what stops any kind of business from appearing in downtown WB?
Here's what the town of WB loses without WB Art Co:
- ART & CREATIVE INFLUENCE: Local artist and owner Jazz Undy creates unique, coastal paintings of Wrightsville- most use recycled items and trash collected from our beach. The gallery is the first and only of it's kind in town, also offering other local artwork, as well as studio classes for adults & children.
- TEACHING CHILDREN: Through camps and workshops, Jazz shares both a passions for art and the environment with kids (local and visitors) AND importance of recycling and keeping the beach clean.
- EFFORTS to KEEP OUR BEACH & TOWN CLEAN: Part of the artwork & teaching workshops is collecting trash on beach-walks for use in the creative process. Beyond actual decrease in litter/trash, this perpetuates continued awareness about environment, clean beaches, and related ordinances (such as non-smoking). (Ocean Detox is the company's non-profit arm.) Giving back makes WB Art Co part of the WB community & family.
- AMBASSADOR FOR WRIGHTSVILLE BEACH: When visitors to our town take home a piece of local artwork, it becomes a permanent marketing tool and constant reminder of their time in WB. What becomes a cherished memory or sparks others' interest in visiting a quintessential beach town? A unique piece of art? Or a hot dog?
**SAY NO TO CHARLIE GRAINGERS** (hot dog & brisket franchise)
- We do not need yet another restaurant in the already crowded downtown proper of our small beach town (there are at least 9 already), serving the same fare (hot dogs) as a long-time, local beach icon (Trolley Stop) and competing with our other local restaurants.
- A franchised, chain restaurant is not a good fit for Wrightsville Beach.
- Another quick-service-restaurant with no seating will leave patrons to eat, loiter -and leave more trash and litter- elsewhere in the nearby town vicinity.
Thank you for your help in keeping Wrightsville Beach clean & local!