Save the Bees, Save the World! Send a message to Retailers and Farmers!
Bees are amazing creatures. They pollinate one in every three of the foods that we eat daily. Honeybees pollinate over $14 million in crops for the United States alone, keeping our agricultural economy steady, and our food prices low.
However, beginning in the year 2006, bees are slowly declining due to a variety of factors that scientists call “Colony Collapse Disorder.”
You may be asking yourself, well, what are all of these factors that contribute to CCD? Scientist experiments have resulted in a multitude of results, therefore, the information is too scattered to pinpoint an exact reason for decline.
Bees are mainly, and most commonly (as shown by scientist experiments), declining due to a pesticide class known as the neonicotinoid, a nicotine-based substance. This substance directly takes over a bee’s immune system, killing it even when the bee is exposed to a small emission. This neonicotinoid pesticide is very commonly used by farmers and sprayed across large fields of crops. Little do the farmers know, or choose to ignore, that the neonicotinoid pesticide, when sprayed on a crop, will spread throughout the entire plant, including the soil, and can stay there for years. When a bee comes to pollinate, a similar effect will occur on the bee, killing it.
Genetically Modified Organisms are also part of the problem here. When a crop is genetically modified, the pollen inside the flower is modified as well, causing the bees to die of illness due to the lack of nutrients inside the pollen that keep them living. This also affects the digestive capacity of bees, meaning that their ability to eat is lessened, and this can lead to malnutrition in times of year like the winter, when food is the hardest to find due to the weather.
This petition is here to address this issue, and two major factors in the issue.
One way to make the change is to show that we care. By signing this petition, you are sending a message to retailers and to farmers as well, telling them that this decline is a big deal! Our entire economy and food supply is at risk here due to this decline. The more signatures, the more it will become evident to farmers and retailers that this is a big issue that is caused by the decisions they make. Sure, farmers don’t make the pesticides, but that doesn’t put the blame on the manufacturers. The Environmental Protection Agency have put in hard work to ensure that there are specific labels and instructions on the pesticides, to use only when directed. There are hundreds of studies that have been done that even show that no matter what, pesticides emit a large toxicity rate to bees. But they are choosing to ignore this, because right now, in 2014, 8 years after the decline was first recorded, there are STILL farmers taking this approach, and killing off our bees. There is hope. however! By simply signing your name, you are showing that you care about this decline, and you are telling retailers that selling pesticides only provokes a larger group of people to buy them, and you are telling farmers that the approaches that they are taking is only hurting their outcome more.
We NEED to make it clear to the retailers and farmers that what has been happening the past 8 years cannot go on any further, or our bees will go extinct, our economy will be destroyed, and our food supply will be very poor. The idea is that, the more people that sign, the more people the farmers and retailers will realize that they are doing a bad job. The more people, the more it will become clear that this IS an issue, and what they are doing is causing the issue-- they are practically causing the decline themselves, being the ones making the decision to take these harmful approaches.
I hope that this has given you some insight on what is occurring in the agricultural world, and I’ve inspired you to make a change, and voice your opinion. It’s not much longer until all of the bees are completely gone, and everything will be in jeopardy. Nothing as simple as signing your name could make such a big change in our world.
- May 18
- WOW EVERYBODY! We've reached over an overwhelming 50 signatures in 3 weeks! That's incredible! I appreciate all of you guys that truly care about the bee decline, and showing that you want there to be a change. Can we go for 100 signatures by the end of the month? Let's do it! Thank you, once more, for everyone's commitment to getting our voice heard! show more
- May 7
- This is outstanding! We've reached 36 signatures so far in about a week or two of the petition being live! Thank you to all that have shown your interest in the bee population and making a change; showing that you want to make a change, because you understand the importance of bees to our world. Keep on spreading the word, and let's go for 100 signatures by the end of the month! :) show more
- May 3
- WOW! We've reached well over 20 signatures with a record breaking 12 signatures just today! Thanks to all of you who want to make a change and support me in my plea to preserve the remaining bees! Keep on spreading the word, and soon enough, that change will be made! show more
- May 2
- We've just reached 14 signers for the petition! Thank you all for showing interest in the bee population and understanding that there NEEDS to be a change for the safety of our bees, our economy, and our food supply. Thank you all, and let's keep spreading the word! show more
- April 30
- We've just reached the first 5 signers! Although that's not many, it is still showing that you care about this global issue. Please continue supporting! Thanks to all! show more
- April 29
- We are now live! show more
Is there a cause you really care about? Start a free petition like this one and make a real difference.
2 years agoJudith A Cartisano United States2 years ago
2 years agoJeannette Austin2 years ago
2 years agoMRS. TRISH GEIDEL Australia2 years ago
2 years agoNancy Roussy2 years ago
2 years agomanuela wolter Costa Rica2 years ago
2 years agosusanna minacheili2 years ago
2 years agoSteffen Pedersen2 years ago
2 years agoshannon whiffen2 years ago
3 years agoOlga Troyan3 years ago
3 years agojeanne4 schreurs3 years ago
3 years agoSian Lewis3 years ago
3 years agoSandy Rowley3 years ago
3 years agoPaws for the News3 years ago
3 years agoChanel Jones United States3 years ago
3 years agoCharlene Beairsto3 years ago