Save Tennessee's Fall Creek Falls State Park and Conference Center
The "Queen of Tennessee State Parks", Fall Creek Falls, in Spencer Tennessee is under threat of being "Privatized". Fall Creek Falls is the most visited of all of Tennessee's State Parks. It is 25,000 acres of timber,virgin forests, gorges and waterfalls.
A plan is currently underway to close the Inn and Conference Center and replace it with a "sterile" more modern facility. This would maximize the conference area but diminish capacity of the hotel for families that may wish to visit and enjoy our park.
Once the old facility is demolished and the new one is built and paid for with our public tax dollars;they intend to privatize the center to allow a private company to profit from it.
The Inn and Conference Center is one of the major employers in the area of Van Buren , Bledsoe and White counties. The park is the major employer for Van Buren county.
The Inn and Conference Center at Fall Creek Falls has become an integral part of the community. It is a place for first dates, a gathering place for families and a popular wedding venue. This year over 1300 reservations for Thanksgiving were made in a county of only 5000 people.
Requirements of the request for proposals call for the new inn to have 75-95 rooms that, according to projections in the request, could be rented for $151 per night.
Rooms in the current 145-room facility, rent for $76 per night.
Because of the public response to this petition, the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation has "Fast Tracked" the demolition of the facility before Christmas of 2017!
We do hereby petition the Governor of Tennessee and the Legislature of this great state to intercede and prohibit the demolition of the Fall Creek Falls Inn and Conference Center and the termination of the jobs of over 100 families from this economically stressed community.
- February 22
- This outrageous corporatism has got to stop. Of course the conference center will be expanded. So now it'll more and more be transmogrified into a conference center for corporate gatherings instead of a public facility for Tennessee families? Using our tax dollars? Sure sounds like it. And who will be the lucky private company which gets this golden-egg-laying goose, with no expense to them initially? I'm betting it'll be a friend of Haslam's. Who wants to bet against me? This sort of radical-right "privatization" plan is a joke, but it isn't a funny one. show more
- February 22
- SAVE the parks for the people!!! This is a crazy waste of money when it could be rehabilitated as stands . Also, the increase in tax burden to the citizens is not necessary. Retired people and young families on a budget will not be able to afford a double in price to stay in the park. It makes the park unaffordable to many Tennesseans who tax dollars have already paid for it once! show more
- February 14
- I really support this cause show more
- January 31
- My wife and I just visited the park. The Inn is a little dated but otherwise is a wonderful place. I think the State would be money ahead refurbishing the Inn rather than demolishing it and denying the citizens of TN the use of the Inn for 2 years only to see it cost more when the private company took over. show more
- January 20
- Please do not privatize this state park. This is not in the best interest of the people of TN. show more
- January 15
- This is so sad! A hotel who main purpose is for access to a state park should never be privatized!!! This is a favorite destination for countless individuals and families! Please don't do this! show more
- January 12
- I am retire state employee and this park is not far from my home. I enjoy going to Fall Creek falls. Privatize this place would be definitely wrong for the county and state. This must stay with the state and stop having tax payers suffer. show more
- January 9
- Privatizing - State Parks Privatizing - Universities Privatizing - State Buildings PRIVATIZATION IS FOR PROFIT This is not in the INTEREST of the PEOPLE OF TENNESSEE show more
- January 5
- This needs to stop - contact your representative and let them know how you feel. show more
- January 4
- Everyone needs to sign this!! show more
2 days agoDebbie Kloc United States2 days ago
2 days agoKen Kloc United States2 days ago
2 weeks agoShirley Threadgill United States2 weeks ago
1 month agoRobert Trocsch United States1 month ago
1 month agoSidney Greeson United States1 month ago
2 months agoNic Powell United States2 months ago
2 months agoTracy DeBord United States2 months ago
2 months agoJoseph e carr United States2 months ago
2 months agoLandon Medley United States2 months ago
2 months agoCameron McElroy United States2 months ago
2 months agoDonald Tanner United States2 months ago
3 months agoLuanne Smith United States3 months ago
3 months agoGeorge Smith United States3 months ago
3 months agoRose Sevdalian United States3 months ago
4 months agoGina Lance United States4 months ago