Save Canterbury Heritage Museum
The City Council is consulting on closure of the Canterbury Heritage Museum.
Those named below call on the City Council NOT to close the Museum and deny access to a comprehensive collection telling the story of Canterbury’s heritage, but to work with a consortium of archaeologists, historians, societies, universities, arts organisations, community groups, schools and volunteers, to renew and re-present the buildings and collections for the 21st century.
Our ambition will be to transform the building into a dynamic hub to explore and share new insights into the city for people who live, work or study in Canterbury or who come as visitors.
The first aim of our new consortium of supporters will be to work with Canterbury City Council on a plan to save the Museum in partnership. If that fails, we propose to form a new Trust to apply to take over operational management of the Museum, its collections and heritage buildings in Stour Street.
We will then seek to raise funds to redisplay the buildings and collections and promote them. We will also seek to provide programmes of learning and creative engagement for local people and visitors to experience and enjoy the whole of the city’s story set in one of Canterbury’s most inspiring and complete medieval buildings.
We call on the City Council to work with the consortium to achieve these objectives.
List of supporting institutions:
- Canterbury Archaeological Trust
- Friends of Canterbury Archaeological Trust
- Canterbury Christ Church University
- Centre for Kent History and Heritage, Canterbury Christchurch University
- Centre for Heritage (University of Kent)
- Centre for Medieval and Early Modern Studies (University of Kent)
- The Canterbury Society
- Kent Archaeological Society
- Canterbury Heritage Design Forum
- Canterbury branch of the Historical Association
- Department of Classical & Archaeological Studies (University of Kent)
- Canterbury Tourist Guides
- The Oaten Hill and South Canterbury Association Local History Group
- Canterbury Historical and Archaeological Society
- Canterbury Commemoration Society
- Friends of Canterbury Museums
- Kent Family History Society
- Commitee Members St Mildred's Area Community Society
If you support this initiative sign here
4 days agoDeborah Barber United States4 days ago
6 days agochristopher william wetherell United States6 days ago
4 weeks agokevin williams United Kingdom4 weeks ago
4 weeks agoJohn Collier United Kingdom4 weeks ago
4 weeks agoFrancesc Sevillano Vives Spain4 weeks ago
1 month agoAnna Baghiani Jersey1 month ago
1 month agoDavid Boulding United Kingdom1 month ago
1 month agoDennis Hayward Australia1 month ago
1 month agoJeff Cousins United Kingdom1 month ago
2 months agoJames Davis United Kingdom2 months ago
2 months agoClaire Le Grand United Kingdom2 months ago
2 months agoClemency Doxey United Kingdom2 months ago
2 months agoRosemarie Salter United Kingdom2 months ago
2 months agoP S Hood United Kingdom2 months ago
2 months agovivien beckett United Kingdom2 months ago