Retire Bishop Charles E Bennison
This petition requests that the Rt. Rev. Charles E. Bennison immediately resign his position as Bishop of Pennsylvania, Diocese of Pennsylvania, Episcopal Church of the United States of America.
- Whereas Bishop Bennison was found guilty by the Church's Court for the Trial of a bishop after a June 2008 trial that found that he had committed serious disciplinary offenses warranting his removal ("deposition") from the ordained ministry.
- Whereas Bishop Bennison had committed two Offenses of Conduct Unbecoming a member of the Clergy, under Title IV.1.1, and was deposed by a unanimous vote of the members of the Court.
- Whereas the ruling of this court, and related deposition, was overturned due to a lapse in the Church's statute of limitations - not a finding that exonerated Bishop Bennison's behavior in this matter. This was a choice of interpretation of the canons by the reviewing board.
- Whereas Bishop Bennison has repeatedly failed to accept responsibility or accountability in this matter, by denying his role in perpetuating his brother's illegal and immoral behavior.
- Whereas Bishop Bennison has and continues to say that the charges are without merit, and that he would do the same thing again, showing no acknowledgement of the issues or responsibility for his role.
- Whereas Bishop Bennison's behaviors and statements make him unfit to lead a diocese, and to pastor other pastors and members of the Episcopal Church in light of a complete lack of appropriate behavior.
- Whereas Bishop Bennison does not have the support of many of his clergy or members of his diocese, and has raised the concern of many practicing Christians about the future of our Church.
I hereby request the bishop "show the wisdom and generosity of spirit to resign" immediately as bishop of the Diocese of Pennsylvania