Restore Education Funding for NYS Public Schools
Restore Education Funding and Decrease Testing in NYS Public Schools
In the context of:
1. Drastic funding cuts by NY State: In the past 3 years NYS has cut $3.2 billion from public schools in the face of rising costs. The so-called “increased funding” to schools this year— the $805 Million restored in the 2012/2013 NYS budget—is only a small fraction of the funds continuously cut since 2009 and is not sufficient.
2. Unfunded testing mandates: Albany continues to add requirements that increase costs without providing necessary funds. These include expensive, unproven standardized tests, which take class time away from teaching 21st century skills such as critical thinking; increase stress on children; and deplete the already-scarce resources of schools. The over-reliance on testing must stop.
3. Untenable property taxes. Many taxpayers are already paying a disproportionate share of their income in taxes. These taxpayers can no longer be pitted against schools.
We, the undersigned, as parents, voters, and concerned residents of New York State school districts, call on Governor Cuomo and our state legislators to:
1. Restore necessary funding to NYS public schools, and
2. Relieve classes and school districts of the rising number of required standardized tests (Register here to Boycott June Field Tests.)