Replace I2 Template with List of Formatting Criterion for ECMM102
43 signers. Add your name now!
43 signers. Almost there! Add your voice!
Maxine K. signed just now
Adam B. signed just now
The new Template for the I2 report for ECMM102 should be replaced with a list of criteria for formatting of the reports.
Anyone who breaks formatting should be penalised in the normal way through adjustment of marks.
Below are a number of reasons why this new template system should be dropped for academic year 2015:
- The template is by no means fit for purpose, it is difficult to use, buggy and appallingly presented.
- Titles are inappropriate for some projects.
- Adding figures is difficult and often malfunctions.
- 4th Year master students are more than capable of formatting our own documents.
- The mark scheme still gives marks for formatting, which is no longer valid, the overall make distribution needs to be changed if the template is used.
- The Template has been introduced far to late into the project, giving us little time to adapt to the format and penalising those who started writing early. There is also very short time to fix bugs in the template.
- This format makes the reports less likely to be shared or published by students due to the poor format.
- Students are unlikely to showcase their work to employers or institutions due to its poor appearance.
- The format unfairly penalises those who use other popular and effective software such as LaTeX, the standard for technical report writing.
- Formatting skills are a critical part of an Engineers ability to succeed, many examples of poor formatting and poor communication in the real world have led to engineering failure.
What could be used instead:
- A list of criteria for formatting
- A strict penalties for breaking the formatting
- An example document, not a template
It is possible, if executed properly and in plenty of time the template could be used in the future.