Remove Ford GoBike Stations in front of People's Homes!
233 people have signed this petition. Add your name now!
233 people have signed. Add your voice!
Maxine K. signed just now
Adam B. signed just now
Remove GoBike Stations Installed directly in front of Residents’ HOMES with NO WARNING!!
- The City of Oakland awarded a 12-year contract to a 3-year-old, start-up company, Motivate, to install and run a bike share system in the SF Bay Area, including, Oakland and Berkeley.
- Motivate, (aka Bikeshare Holdings LLC), is a venture capital backed, start-up company owned by CEO’s and private investors whose primary goal is financial greed, and not smart, community focused, urban planning.
- Motivate won this bid in part by promising to involve the community and residentsin the decisions surrounding how the program would be implemented and where the bike stations would be located. But instead, Motivate began installing bike stations in residential areas, directly in front of residents’ homes, without providing notice to directly affected residents. They were not honest in their dealings with residents.
- Motivate has also used tactics such as, telling specific residents a bike share station would not be located in front of their home, and then doing so anyway – in a direct attempt to prevent residents from exercising their civic rights to protest to City officials. We have the voicemails to prove it!
- Oakland community residents have a right to voice their opinions regarding decisions of where GoBike stations are placed. We have a right to have concerns regarding quality of life, property values and safety heard and considered by City officials. Motivate has already removed stations in front of businesses where they were not notified first. Residents deserve the same option.
Don’t let a Ford GoBike Station appear in front of your home!
TAKE ACTION AND JOIN OUR PETITION TODAY:
- Ask Ryan Russo, newly appointed Director of Transportation of Oakland to meet with residents who were not informed of bike stations being placed directly in front of, or adjacent to their homes, and to move the stations to other recommended sites. Shame on the City of Oakland for not taking this step prior to installations!
- Require the City of Oakland to implement a process whereby at least 90 days of notice is provided to residents when a Gobike or other bike share station is proposed to be located within 1000 feet of their home; AND publicize a process by which residents can voice their opinions and concerns about planned locations.
- Immediately re-locate GoBike station at 5200 Shafter Avenue in Oakland to a commercial location nearby. Residents were not informed of this installation!