Remove Doherty as Chairman
We, the undersigned, petition the legislators of Sullivan County, NY, to vote to remove Robert Doherty as the Chairman of the Sullivan County Legislature. We believe this action will restore civility to legislative discourse, and further restore the faith of residents in a properly functioning local government, of which they can be proud.
Robert Doherty’s reckless governance, willful disregard for both ethical conduct and process, and his continuing blatant abuse of fellow legislators, county staff, and the public, has sapped community trust in the institution and demoralized hundreds of county public servants that work for and protect our community.
Specifically, Robert Doherty:
- Uses Sullivan County assets for political gain
- Regularly makes factually inaccurate and demonstrably false statements in both legislative meetings and other public forums
- Regularly misrepresents the sentiments of the legislature
- Regularly belittles and harasses women during legislative meetings
- Has repeatedly directed personal attacks against fellow legislators and other municipal officials
- Burdens Sullivan County with legal expenses due to his potentially illegal activity while serving as chairman
During Robert Doherty’s chairmanship:
- Sullivan County staff positions are chronically and dangerously unfilled
- The Care Center at Sunset Lake, Certified Home Health Agency, and the Department of Community Services are destabilized and threatened
- State-mandated transparency rules are flagrantly ignored
- The County Attorney is a lawyer who was appointed before he was to be removed as a Judge of the Sullivan County Superior Court by the NY State Commission on Judicial Conduct due to multiple instances of misconduct and abuse of authority
- The Sullivan County Legislature has lost the trust of county employees, unions and the public
The continuing misconduct of Robert Doherty has caused undue expense and brought shame to the office, the Legislature, and to this County. By our signatures below, we implore this Legislature to vote to remove Robert Doherty as Chairman of the Legislature.