Remove all School-Zone Speed Cameras in Nassau County NY
828 signers. Add your name now!
828 signers. Almost there! Add your voice!
Maxine K. signed just now
Adam B. signed just now
To Elected County Officials-
Nassau County has recently expanded its camera based ticket system from Red Light Cameras to School-Zone Speeding Cameras. This petition is to remove all School- Zone Speed cameras in Nassau County, NY.
1) School-zone cameras do not relate an individual driver, rather the car owner.
2) There are no local statistics proving their effectiveness in increasing safety near schools. In fact, during most hours of operation, children are on school grounds, not crossing busy roads.
3) These cameras are being installed to raise money, not for safety. They are projected to generate revenue of $25 million per year in Nassau County, NY - a quarter billion dollars during a ten year period.
4) These cameras unfairly punish safe drivers. Those people who are driving 30 mph do not endanger children.
5) They will re-route traffic patterns from major boulevards to our local streets which are not equipped for the traffic. Thus, cameras will unfortunatelydecrease traffic safety in our local neighborhoods.
6) Nassau County has not implemented a fair and just system to contest these tickets. Many drivers have stated that they are driving under the speed limit and obtaining tickets in the mail with an incorrect speed listed on the ticket. There is no recourse short of appearing in a court hearing. If Nassau County insists on maintaining cameras, they must have a better system for contesting the violation.
Concerned Residents of Nassau County