Reconciliation for Survivors
The focus of the demands below are aimed towards the Sigma Lambda Rho Alpha Chapter as a student organization that upholds the marginalization and silencing of victims of sexual assault.
- We ask for a written statement from _Sigma Lambda Beta Rho Alpha Chapter_ acknowledging the mishandling of sexual violence.
- We ask for the SLB Rho Alpha chapter to create transparent reform for the handling of sexual violence; in addition, to engage in active and critical dialogue that is constructive for change and helps toward the prevention of future assault. Survivor or assault experts (i.e Victims Advocate, Green Dot, etc) insights and suggestions should be taken into consideration when brainstorming preventive tactics.
- We ask for a new way of dealing with evidence. As most assaults leave no physical evidence behind. We ask that organizations validate victims experiences and highly take into consideration that the evidence is, more often than not, trauma. It should be mandatory to believe victims who are currently working with Victims Advocate Program or have filed a police report.
- We ask to be heard, validated, and believed. The university’s job is to enable the success of students and provide resources for personal and professional growth. Focus needs to shift from resource providing after assault to preventative measures. We ask for dialogue between (any) Fraternity member with the goal of closing the gap between survivors and Greeks. We hope to reconcile and engage in brainstorming, in creating, and in implementing preventative education in order to foster a safe environment on campus and reduce—ultimately eliminate—sexual assault.
Lastly, below is the Rho Alpha's mission and purpose with commentary:
“The Rho Alphay Chapter of Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity strives for academic excellence, diversity, and service (Accountability is part of protecting and serving a community) to The Florida State University and Leon County communities. We are the largest and fastest growing multi-cultural fraternity in the nation.
Our pillars of Brotherhood, (Does that include brothers who abuse?) Scholarship, Community Service (is the service selfless or used as a disciplinary action? Is the service Sustainable? Does it put others in danger?), and Cultural Awareness (Why is Rape Culture Awareness not included in the Fraternity's activism?) drive us to better ourselves, maintain self-respect and encourage tolerance for the views of others.” (Is blocking and avoidance the same as tolerance?)
To nurture and further a dynamic, value-based environment which utilizes our diverse multicultural membership as a catalyst to better serve the needs and wants of all people. (Are survivors not people?)
- Why is your constitution not on Nole Central? What is your legitimate website?