Re-structuring of the Water Crest Social Committee
The duty of the Water Crest Social Committee is to oversee the utilization of resident HOA funds to provide community events to Water Crest on Lake Conroe.
The current Social Committee consists of three Water Crest residents.
Most residents were unaware that this former-HOA-appointed Social Committee existed until a recent turn of events which have led many residents to question the purpose of this Committee and their intentions. As a result, several residents have requested the current Social Committee be disbarred and a new Social Committee elected by and for the residents of Water Crest. Additionally, the NDA should be removed entirely as the Social Committee does nothing but manage the community events budget and organize events, nothing more. The Committee acts as a volunteer organization and are not employees of the HOA, Inframark. There should be complete transparency to discuss financials and events with residents as it is their money being utilized by the Committee.
Some of the key concerns with present Committee:
1. Committee members are required to sign an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) which, as stated under item 1 of the NDA, prevents them from speaking to anyone, about committee related events, meetings, etc. This has been violated by at least one of the current Committee members, as verified publicly.
2. Use of the community HOA funds should be used to provide events that residents want. For example, nearly 50% of the 2021 budget was utilized for movie nights often with less than 5% of the community in attendance. This event should have been canceled and funds used to provide something more residents would be interested in attending. Residents deserve a say in future events! A Facebook poll is not hard! This is also why public Committee meetings are needed!
3. The NDA states under items 7 and 8 that there should be no conflict of or duality of interest between a Committee member and business. Furthermore it states if there is, the Committee member with interest shall not vote on the matter. However, all of the above items have been violated by at least one of the current Committee members, as verified publicly.
4. Social Committee Meetings are currently held twice per month, privately, during working hours amongst the three Committee members. The HOA is not in attendance. Many residents would like EVERY meeting (not just quarterly) be made available to the public at a time where the majority of residents can attend. At a minimum, residents would like the meetings recorded, so it is inclusive to all, just as many community HOA meetings were held via Zoom during COVID. When asked, the Committee declined to record the meeting stating the HOA made the decision. The general answer given by the Committee is to "join the Committee" if you want to be involved but even if a resident wanted to join the committee, the 3pm bi-weekly weekday meetings are not accommodating to anyone who works or has children to pick up from school. Therefore, this is highly inequitable.
5. The NDA states in sections 5 that meeting minutes are to be recorded. However, formal meeting minutes have not been recorded.
6. Detailed financials have not been provided by the HOA, even though it has been requested by multiple people, so that residents can see exactly where HOA funds were spent by the Committee (i.e., multiple movie nights, purchase of tables and chairs, a popcorn machine, signage, etc.). Residents deserve to know how their money is being used by the Committee! The Social Committee's proposed annual events budget for 2022 is $5,150. Of that, $1,343 has been spent YTD. However, the Committee cannot release details on what those monies were spent on per the NDA they signed. The 2021 budget was $5,000 and the HOA claims $3,960 was spent by the Committee (as seen on the December 2021 financial report) while the Committee claims they only spent $2,600. We need an explanation for this discrepancy in the form of a detail financial report from the HOA.
7. A committee member publicly stated that two of the four movie nights for 2021 were taken from the 2022 budget. But the same committee claims YTD $1,342.97 has been spent of the $5,150 budget. If two movie nights from 2021 were taken from the 2022 budget and they spent $300 on bounce houses, $200 on signage, purchased an Easter Bunny costume and hosted a $500 movie in January... the YTD expenses are not $1,342.97. Where is the money and who is keeping record?!?!
8. One of the committee members is not a Water Crest homeowner nor is she married to the owner. She has no vested interest in this community and should not be representing those of us who do.
By signing this petition, you are recognizing a change is necessary and all of the above concerns need to be addressed! Some NDA requirements have been violated by the Social Committee. As a result of having not upheld their end of the policy, they should not be allowed to remain on the Committee. You are voting in favor of the disbarring of the current Social Committee so a new Social Committee can be elected by and for the residents of Water Crest. In addition, you are demanding accountability from the HOA - at minimum, a detailed 2021 financial statement in addition to detailed monthly statements going forward, showing how funds were/are utilized by the Committee. You are requesting impartial scheduling of Committee meetings that will allow more resident involvement. Lastly, you are requesting the NDA be removed entirely as the Social Committee does nothing but manage the community events budget and organize events, nothing more. The Committee acts as a volunteer organization and are not employees of the HOA, Inframark. Therefore, there should be complete transparency to discuss financials and events with residents as it is their money being utilized by the Committee.