Proposed Waste Management Ordinance
Proposed ordinance to change waste management. This will be addressed at the Santa Fe Board of County Commissioners Meeting on Tuesday, June 30, 2015, 5:00 p.m. Commission Chambers, 102 Grant Ave.
The suggested ordinance to provide curbside trash pick-up in rural areas is strongly opposed by the communities of the North Collection District . We believe that this plan, as well as the threatened closure of the Tesuque Transfer Station, will negatively affect the residents in the area for the following reasons:
1. Bears, coyotes, dogs, and bobcats would be attracted to and disrupt trash containers.
2. It will endanger the public health and safety and increase the incidence of rodent born diseases.
3. Litter on roads will cause accidents and degrade the 'curb' appeal of our community -- lowering housing values.
4. Curbside pickup in rural areas is inherently inefficient and will be expensive and unaffordable by many.
5. Some individuals have long gravel, uphill driveways, making transporting of containers very difficult.
6. Long distance drives to alternative transfer stations would be inconvenient and unnecessarily add to the carbon footprint if Tesuque is closed.
Please do not close the Tesuque Village Transfer Station!!!