PROPERTY TAX RELIEF FOR POCATELLO CITIZENS
PROPERTY TAX RELIEF FOR POCATELLO PETITION:
To: The City of Pocatello's Mayor Blad, Council President Adamson, Councilwoman Leeuwrik, Councilman Cheatum, Councilwoman Stevens, Councilwoman Ortega and Councilman Bray
The people of Pocatello are doing everything they can to share in the sacrifice and shoulder the financial burden that the recent year's economic challenges have brought. Much of the burden, everything from double-digit % increases in property valuations that led to large property tax increases, to Covid-19 related lost jobs & wages which will lead to food and housing insecurity has been involuntarily thrust on us. Yet, we continue to be flexible, resourceful and to make voluntary sacrifices to aid others and do our part.
WE call on the CITY of POCATELLO, a government entity established of the people, by the people and for the people, financed 100% by tax dollars and fees, to do its part - to share in the sacrifices and shoulder the same burdens that our community does.
WE call upon our ELECTED CITY REPRESENTATIVES to:
1. ADOPT PROPERTY TAX RELIEF as their first budgeting priority.
2. REDUCE the FY 2021 Budget "tax ask" by 3%.
Note: 3% of the FY 2020 property "tax ask" of $31,244,240 is $937,327.20. The City increased the "tax ask" 5.25% between FY19 and FY20.
3. REDUCE the FY 2021 Budget by a minimum of a 5% and more if necessary to reduce the City's property "tax ask."
Note: The City increased the Budget 14.69% between FY19 and FY20 - a 10.2% increase if you exclude Capital Outlay projects.
4. ENACT a hiring freeze for all non-essential, non-emergency departments effective immediately (with Council discretion on other requests).
5. REDUCE remaining FY 2020 budgetary spending by a minimum of 1.5%.
6. CANCEL/POSTPONE all FY 2020 non-essential Capital Outlay projects in order to preserve reserves and cut spending.