The students of POL320 kindly request that the deadline for the essay be extended for the following reasons:
1) The addition of 1000 words increases the time we need to work on the essay, and increases the expectation. As it was done in the second semester (as opposed to in September), this makes it more difficult for the reasons stated in number 2.
2) Many of us plan our school years in September based on our syllabi specifically:
- we attempt to a pick a cross section of our courses who demands we can manage balancing the demands of course A against the demands of course B
- we plan our work schedules according, choosing to take or not take work assignments based on our course demands (this is particularly true for mature students)
-we decide when we will write the LSAT/GMAT (both occur in February)
- we plan our family demands, some of us are parents to young children, and/or care providers to aging parents.
3) The purpose of a liberal education is to help
us to learn to think, and we believe that the purpose of studying political
philosophy is to help us become better people, citizens, and perhaps one days
leaders. For those of us who are going
on to politics, the better we understand these texts, the better leaders we
We understand that POL320 is not a democracy, but
we believe that our sovereign is wise, benevolent and understanding and for
these reasons we are appealing to her.