Photo Radar Edmonton....we aren't cows stop the milking
Since 1993 we have had photo radar and what started out as an initiative to curb dangerous speeding in areas that pedestrians (children and adults) and accidents were at risk has now become just a cash cow milking the average driver for traveling nominally over an already conservative limit that doesn't abide by the 85% rule
The Office of Traffic Safety published new guidelines in September 2014 and they are just not being followed, site selection has criterion that are just ignored and there is zero accountability to the tax paying public.
2. Site Selection Criteria
Automated traffic enforcement technology sites will not be selected randomly. One or more of the following must exist before automated traffic enforcement technology is used at a specific site.
• Areas or intersections where conventional enforcement is unsafe or ineffective;
• Areas or intersections with an identifiable, documented history of collisions;
• Areas or intersections with an identifiable, documented history of speeding problems;
• Intersections with an identifiable, documented history of offences;
• Intersections near schools, post secondary institutions, other areas with high pedestrian volumes.
• High-speed or multi-lane roadways;
• School and play-ground zones or areas;
• Construction zones; or
• Areas where the public or a community has expressed concerns related to speeding.
The use of automated traffic technology in speed transition zones must be justified and reasonable, based on the site selection criteria. Automated traffic technology should not be used in transition zones, when a driver is approaching a higher/lower speed zone and is within sight of a higher/lower posted speed sign, unless there are well-documented safety concerns that would justify its use
C. Public Awareness
• Existing automated traffic enforcement technology sites must be advertised on a monthly basis by notifying the local media and posting on an established web site, where possible.
WE the public DEMAND:
- IMMEDIATE Cessation of photo radar
- A review of the entire system that involves public opinion
- An immediate refund to those caught at a speed that is within the error range of the devices used