OPEN DSISD SCHOOLS FOR ONSITE LEARNING
We support opening schools for the on-site learning option, effective September 14, 2020. This is primarily based on the CDC and the AAP's recommendations that children need to be in school.
We do not support any discussion of extending the "virtual learning only" option past September 14, 2020. We support the decision to offer 2 options for learning so that those who prefer/require virtual learning can be accomodated and those who prefer/require on-site learning can also be accommodated. The survey results that have been made public support offering both options as almost 60% surveyed want on-site learning and the remaining 40% surveyed want virtual learning.
Experts on the virus repeatedly mention that "To be able to open schools safely, it is vitally important that communities take all necessary measures to limit the spread of the SARS-CoV-2". Then, they go on to provide guidance on how to safely re-open schools. Hays County and, specifically Dripping Springs has accomplished this. We learned on the virtual Town Hall on 8/21/2020 that Wimberley ISD opened for on-site learning. They had just about as many active cases as Dripping Springs. They are opening their schools. We can as well. https://hayscountytx.com/covid-19-information-for-hays-county-residents/
"...the AAP strongly advocates that all policy considerations for the coming school year should start with a goal of having students physically present in school." https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/clinical-guidance/covid-19-planning-considerations-return-to-in-person-education-in-schools/
Regarding the decision to open the school, we support the following:
The re-opening of DSISD should be done in observance with all State and Federal Laws. The proposed policy to require all students from age 4 up to wear masks is in direct conflict with Governor Abbott's executive order regarding masks. Additionally, failure to allow students with medical conditions the ability to freely attend class without segregation is a violation of the executive order and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
As a community, we are here to offer our utmost support in helping the district open on-site learning effective September 14, 2020.