Petition SD6 For Parental/Community Involvement.
We, the parents, grandparents, friends and the community of School District 6 are formally petitioning the School Board and School Superintendent, Dave Wick to:
- Immediately cease all formal & informal decision making or discussions pertaining to the upcoming 2021- 2022 SD6 school year including, but not limited to the pandemic, implementing mandates, procedures, vaccines, guidelines and more UNTIL we the people & parents have been heard and are fully included. Our feedback must be made priority immediately.
- Formal decisions will only be made AFTER hearing from us as a community. We are in unprecedented times and dealing with very sensitive topics. Every community is different, it is not a one-size-fits-all. The only true and accurate way to ensure the decisions reflect our community is by including us beforehand.
- All members of our SD6 board and Superintendent, Dave Wick, immediately facilitate setting up an in- person, community meeting to hear and involve all our parents & community in these discussions & decisions.
- An email must be sent out promptly by SD6, to all parents and guardians immediately informing them of the this upcoming meeting and asking for full participation.
- An online "Back to School/ Pandemic Plan Survey" (survey/questionnaire/poll) is created and sent out immediately to all parents and guardians at SD6 to ensure everyone is heard and included if they are not able to attend the meeting in-person. Results will be made and shared publicly and all names and personal information MUST be kept private. This will be in conjunction with the community meeting. The online survey will have questions directly pertaining to the issues listed above in # one.
The role of the school board is to ensure that school districts are responsive to the values, beliefs and priorities of their communities.The most important responsibilities of school boards is to work with their communities & to improve student achievement in their local public schools.Members of the school board are elected to work for the parents.
Parents do not give up their fundamental rights when their children walk into a public school. No one has signed over their authority to the local school district. Parent involvement in their kids' education has far-reaching benefits.
In closing, we ask you to hear our voices and make decisions that include community and parental Involvement within the boundaries of your legal authority as a school board.
The Concerned Parents and Community Members of Columbia Falls SD6