Petition to Sec Navy to Name Ship: "Patrick Gallagher"
What: We, the undersigned, respectfully request that the Secretary of the Navy direct that a DDG class ship scheduled to be procured in or after 2017, be named in honor of Corporal Patrick "Bob" Gallagher, USMC, Navy Cross, of Ballyhaunis, Co. Mayo, Ireland (KIA ~ Da Nang 1967)
This request is in keeping with the traditional naming conventions of naming Destroyers (DDG) after U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, or U.S. Coast Guard heroes, and this would coincide appropriately with the 50th year anniversary of Patrick's death in action.
Please Note:This petition site is hosted and maintained by volunteers. Patrick's direct family are the only contacts for media inquiries, background or additional information. The Patrick Gallagher website http://www.patrickgallagherusmc.info/ will forward any requests, and the family will respond directly as appropriate. We appreciate your support today, and for learning more about Patrick's life.
Who: Lance Corporal Patrick "Bob" Gallagher was awarded the Navy Cross for bravery, having been drafted into the service of his adopted country, he willingly served. While under fire Patrick Gallagher showed his extraordinary heroism and inspiring valor in the face of almost certain death, he saved his comrades from probable injury and possible loss of life. His daring actions were in keeping with the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.
Why Is This Important:
Cpl Patrick Gallagher, an Irishman immigrant on a green-card who lived, worked & attended school in New York prior to being drafted, (including canvassing for Senator Robert Kennedy), chose service over walking away, and offered himself to protect others. He also represents the courage of being one of 3,000 Irish men & women who served in the U.S. Armed Forces in Vietnam, and was one of 29 Irish to have been killed in action there. This recognizes the many contributions of foreign nationals in U.S. Navy, U.S Marines & Armed Forces throughout our history, voluntarily serving with loyalty, honor & commitment to their adopted country.This honor could be recognition for the families of those enlistees of foreign birth who have served our country in support of our countries principles & protection around the world: A US Navy ship afloat with this heritage would be a welcome reminder to those at home that their loved one's service and perhaps ultimate sacrifice, were remembered by us, the citizens, members of our Armed Forces and the government of the United States of America. We herewith request our representatives support, in the appropriate committees of Defense oversight in both the House and Senate, in raising this request at every opportunity with the Secretary of the Navy.
Marius Donnelly ~ A publican who learned of Patrick's story from a visitor from Ballyhaunis, Co. Mayo, and who believes Patrick's courage and life would be celebrated by all of us who value the contributions and achievements of immigrants who came before us, helping to make this the country it is today.
- April 13
- A BIG Thank you for all who have actively shared Patrick's story this month, as a result we are closing on 8,000 signatures! Please remember that most friends and family may not act on your first post, or email and may need an extra prompt! Our facebook page offers pictures and notes from supporters, and the website offers a direct link to this page! Thanks again and on to 10,000! show more
- April 8
- The Commemorative Ceremony in Ballyhaunis was a massive success with great support from the community, friends and family of the Gallaghers and supporters from around the world attending. An email has been sent to the supporters list with links to pictures & more details. We have gathered almost 1000 new supporters to the petition in just the last couple of weeks! Thank you for all you do to share Patrick's story and our objective of a US Navy ship to be named in his honor. Keep It Up! show more
- March 29
- Tomorrow's Memorial Mass for Patrick in his hometown of Ballyhaunis, Co. Mayo is available via webcam!St Patrick's Parish church is on the web http://ballyhaunisparish.ie/webcam/ Thurs 30th 10AM (Local Ireland time!) show more
- March 25
- A Petition Updat Email has been sent to all email addresses that have signed in so far. If you did not receive yours you can review it here online! http://bit.ly/2nS4ltx show more
- March 25
- As Thursday March 30th nears, we are gratified with the additional support and sharing of Patrick's story this past forthnight. We understand the Irish Army has increased the complement to attend, US Marines will be on hand, and we are hopeful that national media will make mention of the event. show more
- March 14
- Ballyhaunis committee update from Donal Byrne sent yesterday: Everything is coming together through the hard work of the committee.The Irish Army has been out and improved the area around Patrick's grave in order to accomodate the services on March 30th. We have confirmed an Irish Army Honour Guard and a General Officer will be on hand and we are hoping to hear back from the US Embassy in Dublin this week, fingers crossed. If you'd like to call and remind them about the memorial in Ballyhaunis the US Embassy tel is (+353) 1 668-8777 (During Irish Business Hours) show more
- March 14
- Lord Mayor of Dublin signed petition! Brendan Carr , the Lord Mayor of Dublin signed the petition today. We thank him for his support, and ask our Petitioners to request that their elected leaders both here and abroad, follow Lord Mayor Carr's example and sign up today! You can thank him for his leadership by sending a note to firstname.lastname@example.org and thank you for your support! show more
- March 14
- NYC : Donald O'Keefe braved the snow in New York last night to attend a community meeting in the Bronx. Donald took the Mike and told Patrick's story, he also handed out flyers. Donald has been highlighting Patrick's story before there was a petition for the USS Patrick Gallagher petition. There has been a steady uptick in the signature count as a result. Thank you Donald! Stay safe until the thaw! show more
- February 20
- Mark the date : March 30th Patrick's home town of Ballyhaunis, Co. Mayo will hold a Memorial Day for Patrick on March 30th, 2017 fifty years since the day he lost his life in Vietnam. Mass will be held at 11am followed by prayers at Patrick's grave. The Irish Army will provide an honour guard. This will be followed by the opening of an exhibition on Patrick, and the day will end with lunch for all who have taken the time to attend. We hope to present the petition to the new secretary of the navy by years end. Please encourage you friends to sign the petition. 10,000 signatures is in sight. Marius & Martin (Organising committee) show more
- December 9
- Patrick's hometown launched a Memorial Weekend in his honor yesterday, the national radio station is broadcasting a 40 minute documentary on Sat 10th & Sun 11th, and Ireland's national news station highlighted the many efforts around the world to remember Patrick as we get closer to the 50th Anniversary of his death. We will add links to the media mentions on the website http://www.patrickgallagherusmc.info/ as soon as they become available. Thank you for your continued support show more
1 day agoDamien Hurley Ireland1 day ago
2 days agoEamonn Freyne Ireland2 days ago
2 days agoPaul Mc Cann Ireland2 days ago
3 days agoMike Mastrolia United States3 days ago
3 days agoMichael Barrett United States3 days ago
3 days agoalan brennan France3 days ago
4 days agoColonel Jerome Lynes USMC RET United States4 days ago
4 days agoRobert Daniel United States4 days ago
4 days agoJames C Burns United States4 days ago
4 days agoHarry Fagan Ireland4 days ago
4 days agoDaniel Fagan Ireland4 days ago
4 days agoMary Elwood Ireland4 days ago
4 days agoGerard Fagan Ireland4 days ago
4 days agoPatricia Fagan Ireland4 days ago
4 days agoMichael Finnegan Snr Ireland4 days ago