Petition to Sec Navy to Name Ship: "Patrick Gallagher"
What: We, the undersigned, respectfully request that the Secretary of the Navy direct that a DDG class ship scheduled to be procured in or after 2017, be named in honor of Corporal Patrick "Bob" Gallagher, USMC, Navy Cross, of Ballyhaunis, Co. Mayo, Ireland (KIA ~ Da Nang 1967)
This request is in keeping with the traditional naming conventions of naming Destroyers (DDG) after U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, or U.S. Coast Guard heroes, and this would coincide appropriately with the 50th year anniversary of Patrick's death in action.
Please Note:This petition site is hosted and maintained by volunteers. Patrick's direct family are the only contacts for media inquiries, background or additional information. The Patrick Gallagher website http://www.patrickgallagherusmc.info/ will forward any requests, and the family will respond directly as appropriate. We appreciate your support today, and for learning more about Patrick's life.
Who: Lance Corporal Patrick "Bob" Gallagher was awarded the Navy Cross for bravery, having been drafted into the service of his adopted country, he willingly served. While under fire Patrick Gallagher showed his extraordinary heroism and inspiring valor in the face of almost certain death, he saved his comrades from probable injury and possible loss of life. His daring actions were in keeping with the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.
Why Is This Important:
Cpl Patrick Gallagher, an Irishman immigrant on a green-card who lived, worked & attended school in New York prior to being drafted, (including canvassing for Senator Robert Kennedy), chose service over walking away, and offered himself to protect others. He also represents the courage of being one of 3,000 Irish men & women who served in the U.S. Armed Forces in Vietnam, and was one of 29 Irish to have been killed in action there. This recognizes the many contributions of foreign nationals in U.S. Navy, U.S Marines & Armed Forces throughout our history, voluntarily serving with loyalty, honor & commitment to their adopted country.This honor could be recognition for the families of those enlistees of foreign birth who have served our country in support of our countries principles & protection around the world: A US Navy ship afloat with this heritage would be a welcome reminder to those at home that their loved one's service and perhaps ultimate sacrifice, were remembered by us, the citizens, members of our Armed Forces and the government of the United States of America. We herewith request our representatives support, in the appropriate committees of Defense oversight in both the House and Senate, in raising this request at every opportunity with the Secretary of the Navy.
Marius Donnelly ~ A publican who learned of Patrick's story from a visitor from Ballyhaunis, Co. Mayo, and who believes Patrick's courage and life would be celebrated by all of us who value the contributions and achievements of immigrants who came before us, helping to make this the country it is today.
- July 5
- Good morning! Thank you for your help in closing the gap to our goal of 10,000 supporters we are only 55 away at this point this morning and have every confidence that we will reach the goal in coming days. We will keep the petition active to ensure that small items like duplicates, errors or anonymous entries can be corrected for. show more
- June 19
- Your efforts on behalf of the petition are having a major impact! Over 1,000 new supporters signed on, and this is the tip of the iceberg who have heard Patrick's story. The Gallagher family were honored by Lynbrook who named Patrick as Honorary Grand Marshall of their Memorial Parade & Activities. AND the President has named his nominee for Secretary of the Navy who is a key decision maker when naming future Navy ships! We appreciate your support and ask you to once more share Patrick's story to your circle of friends and help us over the 10,000 signature line! show more
- May 29
- On this Memorial Day we remember Patrick, and all who have given their lives in service to their country & community. We are thankful for the support of so many, especially those that had the opportunity to walk alongside Patrick and know of the sacrifices that have been made. For their families, every day is a memorial day without the flags or speeches, we think of them today too. We will push on today, to reach our goal, their memories as our motivation and continue to ask for your support and sharing. show more
- May 14
- We are on a roll of a wave, and surfing it in! In just a single week both the US Marine Corps (Govt) and Marine Times (Media) both presented not just the story but video highlights too on social media with a combined direct reach of over 100,000 and even more on their social connections. We are 1500 away from 10K and growing closer every day. Please post an invite to this petition TODAY! Use the Share button for Facebook or Twitter, and invite your friends to help You help Us! Cheers show more
- May 7
- The official Marine Corps video update The Corps Report included a story highlighting Patrick's service and the commemoration event in Ballyhaunis! https://www.facebook.com/marines/videos/10154287152260194/ Within the 1st day over 50,000 Marines fans had view the video. We are very thankful for the added attention! show more
- April 13
- A BIG Thank you for all who have actively shared Patrick's story this month, as a result we are closing on 8,000 signatures! Please remember that most friends and family may not act on your first post, or email and may need an extra prompt! Our facebook page offers pictures and notes from supporters, and the website offers a direct link to this page! Thanks again and on to 10,000! show more
- April 8
- The Commemorative Ceremony in Ballyhaunis was a massive success with great support from the community, friends and family of the Gallaghers and supporters from around the world attending. An email has been sent to the supporters list with links to pictures & more details. We have gathered almost 1000 new supporters to the petition in just the last couple of weeks! Thank you for all you do to share Patrick's story and our objective of a US Navy ship to be named in his honor. Keep It Up! show more
- March 29
- Tomorrow's Memorial Mass for Patrick in his hometown of Ballyhaunis, Co. Mayo is available via webcam!St Patrick's Parish church is on the web http://ballyhaunisparish.ie/webcam/ Thurs 30th 10AM (Local Ireland time!) show more
- March 25
- A Petition Updat Email has been sent to all email addresses that have signed in so far. If you did not receive yours you can review it here online! http://bit.ly/2nS4ltx show more
- March 25
- As Thursday March 30th nears, we are gratified with the additional support and sharing of Patrick's story this past forthnight. We understand the Irish Army has increased the complement to attend, US Marines will be on hand, and we are hopeful that national media will make mention of the event. show more
15 hours agoPatrick Rooney United States15 hours ago
18 hours agoPeggy English United States18 hours ago
1 day agoFarhan Ahmad Europe1 day ago
2 days agoMike O'Keefe United States2 days ago
2 days agoDan English United States2 days ago
3 days agoJohn Clark United States3 days ago
3 days agoFreya O'Keefe United States3 days ago
4 days agomichael homan United States4 days ago
4 days agoSenator Mark Daly Ireland4 days ago
4 days agoDanny Manning United States4 days ago
5 days agoJoseph Gallagher United States5 days ago
6 days agofranciscan friar emmet murphy United States6 days ago
6 days agoEthan John Ireland6 days ago
6 days agoBlake Dunn Ireland6 days ago
1 week agoRobert Herd United States1 week ago