Petition to Sec Navy to Name Ship: "Patrick Gallagher"
What: We, the undersigned, respectfully request that the Secretary of the Navy direct that a DDG class ship scheduled to be procured in or after 2017, be named in honor of Corporal Patrick "Bob" Gallagher, USMC, Navy Cross, of Ballyhaunis, Co. Mayo, Ireland (KIA ~ Da Nang 1967)
This request is in keeping with the traditional naming conventions of naming Destroyers (DDG) after U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corp., or U.S. Coast Guard heroes, and this would coincide appropriately with the 50th year anniversary of Patrick's death in action.
Please Note:This petition site is hosted and maintained by volunteers. Patrick's direct family are the only contacts for media inquiries, background or additional information. The Patrick Gallagher website http://www.patrickgallagherusmc.info/ will forward any requests, and the family will respond directly as appropriate. We appreciate your support today, and for learning more about Patrick's life.
Who: Lance Corporal Patrick "Bob" Gallagher was awarded the Navy Cross for bravery, having been drafted into the service of his adopted country, he willingly served. While under fire Patrick Gallagher showed his extraordinary heroism and inspiring valor in the face of almost certain death, he saved his comrades from probable injury and possible loss of life. His daring actions were in keeping with the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.
Why Is This Important:
Cpl Patrick Gallagher, an Irishman immigrant on a green-card who lived, worked & attended school in New York prior to being drafted, (including canvassing for Senator Robert Kennedy), chose service over walking away, and offered himself to protect others. He also represents the courage of being one of 3,000 Irish men & women who served in the U.S. Armed Forces in Vietnam, and was one of 29 Irish to have been killed in action there. This recognizes the many contributions of foreign nationals in U.S. Navy, U.S Marines & Armed Forces throughout our history, voluntarily serving with loyalty, honor & commitment to their adopted country.This honor could be recognition for the families of those enlistees of foreign birth who have served our country in support of our countries principles & protection around the world: A US Navy ship afloat with this heritage would be a welcome reminder to those at home that their loved one's service and perhaps ultimate sacrifice, were remembered by us, the citizens, members of our Armed Forces and the government of the United States of America. We herewith request our representatives support, in the appropriate committees of Defense oversight in both the House and Senate, in raising this request at every opportunity with the Secretary of the Navy.
Marius Donnelly ~ A publican who learned of Patrick's story from a visitor from Ballyhaunis, Co. Mayo, and who believes Patrick's courage and life would be celebrated by all of us who value the contributions and achievements of immigrants who came before us, helping to make this the country it is today.
- December 9
- Patrick's hometown launched a Memorial Weekend in his honor yesterday, the national radio station is broadcasting a 40 minute documentary on Sat 10th & Sun 11th, and Ireland's national news station highlighted the many efforts around the world to remember Patrick as we get closer to the 50th Anniversary of his death. We will add links to the media mentions on the website http://www.patrickgallagherusmc.info/ as soon as they become available. Thank you for your continued support show more
- July 27
- Thank you for keeping up with our petition and for your continued support! In the last 6 months we received the support of the Ancient Order of Hibernians and a variety of new media mentions, all due to your efforts on our behalf. As we prepare for the 50th Anniversary of Patrick's loss we ask all our supporters to call their congress reps, their senators, their media friends, their social network and ask them to help us make this Patrick's family's year. A year in which our country recognizes the amazing courage that an immigrant exhibited on behalf of his adopted country. We Believe The USS Patrick Gallagher Will Sail with Your Help! show more
- November 25
- Almost 2 years to the day that our effort bgan we received the 5,000th endorsement of the petition! In the same month we saw the US NAvy christen the USS Raphael Peralta to honor a marine who shielded his squad from grenade fire in very similar fashion to Patrick. "On 15 February 2012, Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus announced the ship's named to be Rafael Peralta in honor of Marine Rafael Peralta, who was petitioned for the Medal of Honor for shielding several Marines from a grenade in November 2004 during Operation Iraqi Freedom; however, he was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross instead" We hope we can count on your support over the coming years to maintain the focus on Patrick Gallagher's selfless action on behalf of an adopted country and afford he and his family this honor in the years ahead. Thank you for sharing and speaking of this petition every tim you do! show more
- September 6
- Having broken through another level this week, we are delighted at the support and range of comments that this petition has raised. We'd ask that everyone that visits share it with their social media friends and family and help us gather a signature for each of Patrick's lost days since his death March 30, 1967 show more
- September 6
- Many thanks to the Ballyhaunis Rugby club who collected over fifty signatures in support of the USS Patrick Gallagher campaign. Ballyhaunis was Patrick's hometown is Ireland. show more
- August 26
- The information boards in Dublin Airport have been a great resource, generating many comments & signatures and helping to spread awareness of our petition. Thank you for your help in sharing this petition and encouraging others to sign on as a supporter! show more
- July 31
- Based on our initial success and growing base of supporters we have started a petition on WhiteHouse.Gov and are asking everyone who supports this effort to add your name there too! http://wh.gov/iI9xf 1st goal is 150 signatures to allow our petition to show in search results. Please pass the word and this link to your communities! show more
- July 18
- Great media attention due to the Dublin Airport information boards. The Journal.ie's Christina Finn did an outstanding job with her article tying it to the day of Patrick's heroic effort that earned him the Navy Cross! Irish Echo article: http://irishecho.com/2015/07/airport-passengers-learn-about-mayo-marine-hero/ The Journal.ie article http://www.thejournal.ie/patrick-gallagher-us-marine-2223859-Jul2015/?utm_source=email show more
- July 13
- Thank you to Dublin Airport & all that assisted in the production and installation of 4 amazing bulletin lightboards in the departure area, highlighting the Petition and Patrick Gallagher's service. If you travel out through Dublin please stop by and visit the boards! show more
- May 17
- Ballyhaunis Scouts in Ireland lend their support: The newly reformed Ballyhaunis Scout Troop will be launching a signature drive for the USS Patrick Gallagher over the next few months. The campaign will be under the title "a ship for Patrick" We thank them and their leaders for their support, Martin Durkan Marius Donnelly USS Patrick Gallagher petition organizers show more
23 hours agoBill Ivory United States23 hours ago
3 days agoMichael F Hayes Sr United States3 days ago
3 days agoPatrick Gallagher United States3 days ago
3 days agoPatrick Reid jr United States3 days ago
3 days agoRose McGuire United States3 days ago
3 days agoAgnes Shields United States3 days ago
4 days agoRonald W OKeefe United States4 days ago
4 days agoSandra Murphy Ireland4 days ago
5 days agoGeorge stems United States5 days ago
5 days agoKieran Kiely Ireland5 days ago
5 days agowilliam j schwarz United States5 days ago
5 days agobrid swords Ireland5 days ago
5 days agoKevin shelley Ireland5 days ago
6 days agoWilliam P Mansfield United States6 days ago
6 days agoGene Dore United States6 days ago