Parkour Equipment at The Great Field Poundbury
There is currently a consultation underway on behalf of the Duchy to plan the next phase of development for The Great Field in Poundbury; I’m hoping that if we can gather enough support we can get a larger parkour area built as part of the next phase of development.
There is already a small parkour installation at Sandringham which has been very popular but the local parkour community has now outgrown it. I believe that a larger area would bring more opportunity for the whole community, both the existing practitioners, and those that want to have a go but aren’t sure exactly how to start.
It’s important to remember that parkour is really just movement and can be practised by anyone, it has fantastic health benefits and gives people the chance to focus on their own goals while working with others.
If you feel you’d like to support us, you can go and make your voice hear at the consultation day (which is tomorrow!) Monday the 13th of November at The Quiet Space in Poundbury. You can pop in anytime between 14:00 and 20:00, I’ve attached a map to help you find The Quiet Space.
Just to recap:
- Monday 13th of Nov, 14:00 – 20:00 at The Quiet Space in Poundbury
- I’m asking you to support getting a larger parkour area built at The Great Field
- Dorchester has had a thriving parkour community for ten years which continues to grow
- The equipment installed at Sandringham no longer meets the needs of the community
- Parkour can be practiced by anyone, you don’t have to jump off buildings
- Having a larger more prominent area would allow more people to get involved and would be free
Before I go…
Recently one of the members of the parkour community in Dorchester, Travis Verkaik went to Sweden to compete amongst some of the best parkour athletes in the world. Travis completely exceeded everyone’s expectations and came 2nd. His success is down to his tenacity and hard work, I also like to think that being able to practice with his friends at the Sandringham area helped him in some small way. I’ve attached a press release about Travis’s success in Sweden, have a look if you have time.