Optional Mask Policy for CWC CUSD 5 Schools
We the parents, educators, loved ones, and other supporters of children who attend Carmi-White County Community Unit School District 5 are requesting you remove the requirement for airway coverings (i.e., masks) in our schools for the upcoming 2021-2022 school year and implement a mask-optional policy. When one reviews the data and evidence regarding Covid-19, the following conclusions are reached:
- Children and young people are at extremely low risk of suffering severe effects from Covid-19.
- All evidence regarding universal masking prior to 2020 showed that masks were ineffective at reducing transmission.
- No clear evidence supporting universal masking has been presented since the start of the pandemic.
- All teachers, staff, administrators and other adults employed by the school district have been eligible for the available vaccinations for several months.
- Over two-thirds of other states do not require masks, and there has been no perceived reduction in viral spread in districts requiring masks when compared to districts with no mask requirements.
- Many children and adults report adverse effects of long-term mask wearing.
We the undersigned believe it is both unnecessary and unhealthy to continue to require our children to wear masks, and we respectfully request that the School Board votes to make masks optional as soon as reasonably possible, preferably at the July 19th meeting.