Oppose Speedway's Proposed 24-hr Mega Gas Station + Convenience Store in Ellison Lake
The undersigned residents affected by the RZ2017-05 requested zoning change at Cobb Parkway (Land Lot 175, Tax Parcel 111 of the 20th Section, Cobb County Georgia) of the Ellison Lake Township by Speedway Corporation, do hereby oppose the proposed change at the said location.
This proposed 24-hour mega gas station / convenience store is out of character with its surrounding area. Additionally, land use allowances for this tract were changed in 2011 eliminating gas stations. The applicant had a right to voice an objection six (6) years ago but did not. The proposed development was not submitted prior to the land use changes and cannot rely on previous allowances but must meet current regulations. Should the proposed variance be approved, the community will be changed in many detrimental ways and set a precedence for similar variances in the future. For example:
- The community will be next door to a 24/7 commercial hub not unlike rest areas on major highways barely buffered by a thin layer of screening trees and shrubs ending with the loss of peaceful enjoyment and privacy to the noise, the fumes, stress and hassle, and danger.
- As the community loses its sense of enclosure, it loses a fundamental appeal associated with any desirable communities, leading to an inevitable decline in property value.
- Additional traffic due to the development will significantly exacerbate the existing congestion on Hwy 41, making it dangerous, if not impossible, to merge from Ellison Lakes Drive especially during peak hours when it matters the most.
- Increased traffic and changed traffic pattern will render this section of Ellison Lake Drives pedestrian unfriendly and unsafe for local residents, either walking or driving. Children being picked up and dropped off by school buses will be in additional danger.
- A 24-hour mega gas station / convenience store at the proposed location will draw heavy traffic, especially out-of-towners causing unwanted congregations, conducive to drugs, violence and crime, therefore threatening the safety of our children.
- Gas stations pose a hazard to the environment and health as it is well established of any gas stations adjacent to residential areas.
While the detriments to us are severe and obvious, there is no justification beyond self-interest of Speedway. The service provided by the proposed Speedway is neither unique nor needed, as evidenced by the abundance of similar businesses in close proximity. The above harms caused are neither necessary nor reasonable for residents of any community.
We submit to the Mayor and Council that this is an unjustified zoning request. It is inappropriate, and harmful to the local residents. We trust that the Mayor and Council will consider all the detriments this request will cause to the residents and the long-term negative impact to the community of Ellison Lakes. Please act in accordance with the community’s current land use plan, the spirit of zoning laws / regulations and best practices.