OPPOSE ALDIE DEVELOPMENT LAND SWAP
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT A FUNDRAISER. IT IS A PETITION ONLY! WE ARE NOT REQUESTING DONATIONS AND IF IPETITION ASKS FOR A DONATION IT DOES NOT GO TO ANY EFFORT TO PROTECT ALDIE. PLEASE SAY NO THANKS WHEN ASKED TO DONATE!!!
SIGN THE PETITION!
We, the following concerned residents, strongly oppose the “Aldie Agreement” proposed by the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors conveying the “Aldie Assemblage” to the Mojax developers as part of their deal to buy the threatened 16.4 acres in the village of St. Louis.
The county cost in this proposal:
• The “Aldie Assemblage” property (the county has invested over $1.7 Million here)
• $1.5 Million cash
• $600,000 matching grant for improvements to the Aldie property
• An access road from Route 50 to an adjoining Aldie parcel owned by one of the Mojax developers
This complicated new proposal trades excessive residential development in St. Louis for excessive commercial development in Aldie. The proposed new development at the Aldie Assemblage site would include several new structures, totaling almost 35,000 square feet of brewery, retail, and guest room space, parking for 164 vehicles, and a road that will provide access to Route 50 for unspecified uses on the adjacent property.
We oppose the proposal because of the following concerns:
- The proposal has the county significantly overpaying for the St. Louis property.
- The scale of the proposed aggregate “Aldie Park” facility on the “Aldie Assemblage” property would dwarf the surrounding village and destroy its historic charm, in addition to creating negative environmental impacts from the required amount of steep slope grading.
- These developers have a long history, including in Aldie, of disregarding county, state, and federal law, and have never shown interest in community opinion. The proposal solves one problem by creating a host of new problems in another historic Loudoun village.
- The impact of this large development directly adjacent to the waterway of the Little River has not been assessed, nor have impacts to Aldie’s water table or public sewer.
- The impact of the public road proposed in this deal is not yet understood, particularly in regards to volume, line of sight, and safety, and no traffic study has yet been completed.
- The public road will connect the Aldie Assemblage to a property on the mountain owned by the developer. This property is subject to a conservation easement, with outstanding litigation due to violations, but there are no covenants or restrictions currently included as part of the proposal.
- This draft agreement as written is incomplete and imprecise.
You can read more about the “Aldie Park” facility proposal here: https://lfportal.loudoun.gov/LFPortalInternet/0/edoc/466702/Item%2003%20Conveyance%20of%20Aldie%20Assemblage.pdf
The full story on the background behind the St. Louis and Aldie situation is here: https://www.pecva.org/resources/publications/piedmont-view/standing-with-st-louis-and-now-aldie/
It is imperative that the community voice their opposition to this proposal through this petition and your support is greatly appreciated.