I support the Maryland Open Government Act
578 people have signed this petition. Add your name now!
578 people have signed. Add your voice!
Maxine K. signed just now
Adam B. signed just now
We, the undersigned, support the Maryland Open Government Act.
We believe that Maryland should rededicate itself to citizen involvement in state government. By making timely, comprehensive information available more widely and by ensuring that everyday advocates have easy access to decision-making, our state can fully leverage its greatest resource: Marylanders themselves. Openness can ensure that the General Assembly and the Board of Public Works achieve the best possible results.
In that spirit, we believe the following reforms - together, the Maryland Open Government Act - are necessary to achieving this goal:
1. Allowing the public free and total access to services provided on the General Assembly's website, including elimination of the $800 access fee charged for "up-to-the-minute" legislative tracking
2. Webcasting General Assembly committee hearings and Board of Public Works meetings over the Internet
3. Posting General Assembly committee hearing agendas at least one day in advance
4. Allowing online sign-up for those wishing to testify before a General Assembly committee
5. Publishing the votes of standing committees on the General Assembly's website
6. Posting the Board of Public Works's proposed budget actions at least two weeks in advance
7. Allowing for a public comment period in advance of Board of Public Works budget actions
* Delegate Heather R. Mizeur, lead sponsor * Common Cause Maryland * Maryland League of Conservation Voters * Maryland Transparency and Equal Access in Government Coalition * Maryland PIRG * Maryland League of Women Voters