Northfield IL Climate Action
By signing below, residents of Northfield Illinois are indicating their support for the Village of Northfield to take reasonable steps to decrease Northfield’s community-wide greenhouse gas emissions. This petition considers:
- Northfield’s history of leadership on environmental matters, including as the initial signer of the Greenest Region Compact of environmental best practices, which benefits Northfield and its residents.
- That Climate Change is having an increasingly severe impact on planetary ecosystems and economies, including in Northfield.
- That there is a global imperative to reduce human-caused greenhouse gas emissions to zero by 2050 to stabilize the planet’s climate, as recommended by a consensus of climate scientists and agreed in the 2015 Paris Agreement by the United States and all other countries.
- That local governments have an important role in the global effort to fight Climate Change, especially in communities like Northfield where the per capita greenhouse gas emissions are an estimated 7X the global average.
- That there are opportunities for the Village of Northfield to have a significant positive impact in reducing emissions at little if any cost to the community, such as facilitating the use of renewable electricity for Northfield residents.
The signers below are asking the leadership of the Village to publicly register their support for reaching the Paris Agreement goals and their intention to take reasonable steps in achieving them, in partnership with the community.