Navi Mumbai should be SmartCity. NCP Exposed.
1. Ruling NCP corporators of our city rejected the GOI proposal on SmartCity due to ignorance about the concepts of SmartCity. They have claimed that they have already developed Navi Mumbai as SmartCity. City which has well maintained Ponds, Gardens , Roads and Footpaths means a 'SmartCity' to them. They need to be educated about intricacies of SmartCity like how concepts like Transportation, Parking, Lighting, Energy Saving, Energy Generation work with the help of well connected systems in a SmartCity.
2. The Opposition parties in the house have blamed that the ruling party fears that they will lose control over the development in the city. By the virtue of which they would lose control over the economics of the projects and hence the commission that comes to their leaders. That's the inner story.
3. The government of Maharashtra repeatedly sent the proposal for approval to the NMMC and it was rejected in three successive rounds by the ruling NCP on the basis of majority in the house.
4. In the preliminary rounds, Central government was to sanction Rs.100 crores whereas Corporation had to contribute Rs.50 crores for the all round development of the SmartCity.
5. A special purpose vehicle (SPV) was to be constituted with an IAS officer leading the same. The Mayor, the Commissioner, the leader of the house, the opposition leader were meant to be part of the SPV. All the approval rights were granted to the SPV. The local NCP misinterpreted the concept of SPV claiming that the basic rights of the house have been overruled by the SPV.
Irrespective of who rules, People of Navi Mumbai would always vote for development. We are not concerned with who controls and to what levels. And it was clearly evident that our city has lost a golden opportunity of development due to ignorance and power hunger of our representatives. I urge the people of Navi Mumbai to sign this petition which will be submitted to the President, Prime Minister and Chief Minister to include our good city in the SmartCity plan irrespective of rejection by our representatives.