Mary D. Lang Kindergarten Center
This building was named after Miss. Mary D. Lang, a teacher and well known resident of Kennett Square. Miss. Lang began her teaching career in 1883 and served 44 years in the profession, which was said to be some sort of a record in the state of Pennsylvania. In 1931 she was recognized for her years of service at the dedication of the new Kennett Consolidated School. In June of 1940, the community playground located on the corners of Center and Cedar Streets was named after her. Children from the town would go to the playground to play box hockey and basketball. Movies were even shown on the side of the building for the town. When the building was turned into a school in 1972 her name remained and the school became Mary D. Lang Elementary School. This building is a historic landmark that should not be renamed regardless of the perception it may have in the district. A perception it received due to its location in the town and the industry the town is known for. This upcoming school year, it will house all of the students in our district for kindergarten, which should be enough to change the perception of the school without having to rename the building. We, the undersigned, oppose the plan to rename Mary D. Lang Elementary when it becomes a kindergarten center for the start of the 2011 school year. We call on the Kennett Consolidated School District and its Board of Directors to maintain the name Mary D. Lang for the new kindergarten center.