Marriage Equality = Public Health
Petition for Marriage Equality in Indiana
Resolved, We, medical students, faculty, physicians, and community members of Indiana
(1) recognize as is definitively stated by the American Medical Association's June 2011 policy H-65.973 Health Care Disparities in Same-Sex Partner Households, that denying civil union or marriage based on sexual orientation is discriminatory and imposes harmful stigma on gay and lesbian individuals and couples and families;
(2) recognize that exclusion from civil union or marriage contributes to health care disparities affecting same-sex households;
(3) will work to reduce health care disparities among members of same-sex households, including minor children;
(4) will support measures providing same-sex households with the same rights and privileges to health care, health insurance, and survivor benefits, as afforded opposite-sex households; and
(5) will, therefore, in the interest of optimal public health outcomes, oppose legislation that writes discrimination into our state constitution.