Mandatory Reporting Policy Petition- PLEASE ONLY SIGN IF YOU ARE AFFILIATED WITH KNOX (either student, alum, or faculty/staff)
ADDRESSED TO ALL STUDENTS IN THE KNOX COMMUNITY
The current administration has wrongly told students that all faculty and staff members of Knox College are required by law to be mandated reporters in cases of sexual misconduct. In reality, under Title IX, the only campus personnel required to report are departmental chairs, administrative members, and heads of student programs. The University of Iowa is one example of a school that effectively uses this mandatory reporting policy.
Furthermore, the current administration has deemed that public spaces such as the Gizmo and students’ own rooms are spaces in which mandatory reporting is required. Many students have voiced their feelings that this is intrusive, as well as a re-victimization of sexual assault survivors. Again, although the administration says that even public areas (on or off-campus) are mandated reporting spaces, this is not required by law.
We demand that the Knox College administration revise their policies to conform to both student needs and Title IX. In particular, we demand that:
1. The only mandated reporters shall be department chairs, administrative members, and staff members in charge of student programs (club advisors, student job supervisors, head coaches, etc.).
2. Faculty, resident assistants, custodial staff, and any other staff member shall be exempt from mandatory reporting.
3. Campus personnel not required to report shall have the option of using an anonymous reporting system (e.g., ETIXA anonymous reporting).
4. Personal information shared in classroom discussions and creative work shall be exempt from mandatory reporting.
5. Public spaces on campus such as dining areas, residential halls, etc., shall no longer be mandated reporting spaces except in the event that a student approaches a mandated reporter and specifically wishes to report.
6. Any conversations heard off-campus regarding sexual victimization shall not be subject to mandatory reporting.