Manchester Parents DEMAND Better Schools
We the undersigned parents, residents, teachers, students, and others are fed up with the state of public education in Manchester, New Hampshire.
Our kids are being bullied, and this has to stop. We have children graduating from high school who do not have a basic foundation in the core academic subjects. Some students are graduating high school who cannot do simple math. Our kids do not have the materials they need in the classroom. Our teachers do not feel valued, and they need to know the community supports highly qualified professionals in the classroom.
We want something BETTER for our children.
We want board members to focus on this list of problems and come up with a plan to fix them.
We expect the Superintendent to lead towards these goals and NOT the goals of political organizations.
1) Bullying needs to be addressed. UPDATE the policy to make is tougher on students who attack other students. Support a climate of respect.
2) Consistent curriculum across the district.
3) Foreign Language added in the elementary school.
4) Implement a complementary Spelling and Grammar curriculum.
5) Get a systematic Math book that can be used starting on page 1. A math program that parents can understand so they can help their children with homework.
6) Stop social promotions.
7) Advance children to the next subject when they’ve mastered the content.
8) Get our teachers a signed contract.
9) Add tech resources.
10) Get rid of Common Core and go back to common sense.
11) IEPs must be followed.
12) Bring back unified arts in the Middle School.
13) Updated textbooks.
14) Leveling for all subjects.
15) Get rid of standardized testing.
16) Make sure students are competent in the subject matter before advancing.
IF these important issues are not addressed, you will be replaced. Whether you serve on the BOSC or work in the district, we expect you to focus on the problems we have identified.
We expect the BOSC to report to the public on the progress frequently.
If you cannot handle this task, you need to step aside. Our kids deserve a safe environment and a quality education. Anything less than that is unacceptable.
SUPPORT EXCELLENCE IN EDUCATION
We wont settle for anything less.