A Petition In Support of Equity and Closing the Achievement Gap in the SMMUSD
PLEDGE OF MALIBU PARENTS, STUDENTS, COMMUNITY MEMBERS AND BUSINESSES TO ENCOURAGE THE DEVELOPMENT OF AND FULLY SUPPORT A REASONABLE ALTERNATIVE SMMUSD DISTRICTWIDE FUNDRAISING PLAN
A. We strongly support and believe in the mission statement of the SMMUSD Board of Education, "Extraordinary achievement for all while simultaneously closing the achievement gap."
B. We believe a successful, effective alternative fundraising plan is highly attainable and must include the following essential elements:
1. Open and transparent communication between the district, principals, parents and community
2. State a commitment to maintain the current program levels of all schools while simultaneously raising lower achieving schools up to meet the average level of funding, rather than penalize any individual schools by lowering standards
3. Develop an impartial evaluation and research of the severity of the problems and the sources of the achievement gap
4. Define, identify and articulate specific goals and programs to be added in the lower performing schools
5. Form a completely representative committee along with professional fundraisers to find community-wide sustainable solutions
C. We call on the Board of Education to seek a different course of action, one in which those who oppose the current policy proposal of centralized fundraising will fully back.
Thereby, we the undersigned, pledge our full support of a viable, alternative districtwide fundraising strategy, which will serve to first and foremost benefit the lower achieving, under- resourced schools within our district, and which, poses no intrinsic risk to the resources and programs currently in place in our district's higher achieving schools.