Make Brightline Safe!
Make Brightline and FEC safe, Governor DeSantis, or we all may live in East Palestine!
Over 80 people have lost their lives on the Brightline tracks in 3 short operating years! It's the deadliest train in the nation and Phase 2 is scheduled to be complete in 2023. This deadly train shares the SAME TRACKS with very volatile HAZ MAT. This disaster-waiting-to-happen would make the one in East Palestine look like a picnic!
- Brightline’s Phase 2 will mean 36 trains per day from Palm Beach to Cocoa Beach at speeds up to 110 mph through the Treasure and Space Coasts.
- Brightline will cross 130 streets at grade and speed along open tracks near many youth activity centers. (see our website for details)
- No railroad system in the country operates trains going over 79 mph crossing streets at grade with miles of open, accessible tracks.
- Averaging 25 deaths per year at “only” 79 mph, Brightline is certain to exceed that average at 100+ mph.
- Florida East Coast Rail freight trains on the track currently carry: Ethanol, Anhydrous Ammonia, Chlorine Gas, Liquefied Propane Gas, Liquid Asphalt
- No Hazard Analysis has been done when passenger trains and volatile freight including LNG share the same tracks near the Ft. Pierce Nuclear Power Plant, Patrick Air Force Base and schools.
- FDOT has the final responsibility for the safety of the system – NOT the US DOT!
- Railroad ‘experts’ at FDOT have no experience regulating trains over 79 mph crossing streets at grade. In fact, Florida has NO SAFETY REGS for trains going over 79 mph!
We the undersigned respectfully ask Governor DeSantis to direct his Secretary of Transportation, Jared Purdue, to make Brightline Safety a priority for his department and include the following steps:
- Contract with an international consulting firm (with no conflicts of interest with any Fortress Investment or Grupo Mexico businesses) to study the hazards on the route including Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) on the tracks, pedestrian danger points at and away from crossings and safety requirements necessary to save lives.
- Create a Task Force of our Treasure & Space Coast officials and FDOT to represent residents in the speedy funding and implementation of effective mitigation measures with complete transparency.
- Delay any trains over 79 mph until the residents can be assured ALL necessary safety equipment including fencing, bridges and pedestrian channeling have been installed.
Governor DeSantis, you have shown your concern for the residents and businesses of Florida in your policies from healthcare to education, now it's time to save lives and Make Brightline Safe! Secretary Perdue and FDOT must recognize the impending doom Treasure and Space Coast residents face and help secure a safe future for all of the people of Florida.
The Voters of Florida and the Alliance for Safe Trains
(see our website FLSafeTrains.com for the complete story)