Keep late start for Rowan Elementary
- This week, we were informed (not consulted) that our children's lives will be drastically changing this fall when the start time for Rowan moves from 9am to a shocking 7:30am bell. This decision was made without consulting the community it impacts, and given to us AFTER the school choice window had already closed. We are asking Rowan parents to sign our petition to share with the district that you agree with the following three points:
1. Parents, teachers, and the rest of the Rowan community should have had a voice in the discussion. We are perfectly capable of helping address logistical concerns that directly affect us.
2. That this is not enough notice for our families. The school choice window is closed and the charter schools are all on a wait list now. The only available alternative for families that cannot manage a 730am start time is to home school (not even a viable option for many of us). Whether you are personally for or against an early start time, we can all agree that each family should be allowed the opportunity to do what is best for their own children, and we therefore needed more notice to consider alternatives for our kids before a change like this is mandated.
3. We are vulnerable right now without a permanent principal to mediate such a tremendous change for our youngest children and Rowan staff. Our littles will be left in an already overburdened Primetime, for even more hours after school (if they can even get in at all. Some children are now at risk to be left home alone after school while they are waitlisted for Primetime). Meantime, our littlest attenders (the preschool and special ed preschool kiddos) will have to adjust to a bus schedule that begins before the sun rises. We might even lose beloved teachers who cannot work out their own childcare with the new work schedule; they also missed the school choice window with the timing of this information.
We unite to implore the district to reverse their decision and keep the 9am start time at Rowan Elementary for the upcoming school year.
Our children need and deserve protection from decisions that directly burden them in this way. All research points to late start times being best for children and families. We support the direction the district is moving in for later start times in general, but not at the expense of our preschool- and elementary- aged children who also benefit from later start times.
In addition to this petition, we also HIGHLY recommend that families write their own letters explaining how this will personally impact their children. You can address these letters to the following:
• Area Superintendent: Kimie Lochtefeld, firstname.lastname@example.org
• District Superintendent Cindy Marten: email@example.com
• Board Bice President, District D: firstname.lastname@example.org
• San Diego Unigied Quality Assurance: email@example.com
• If you are willing, please cc Anolan2@asu.edu on these emails. We will keep a master copy of every concern and bring them to each meeting.
Time is of the essence for these letters so please don't wait!