Karuk Tribe: Please Change your Policy around Children in the Work Place
99 people have signed this petition. Add your name now!
99 people have signed. Add your voice!
Maxine K. signed just now
Adam B. signed just now
We would like Karuk Tribal Council to make the following changes to their policy to provide a respectful and equitable workplace for professionals and all Karuk tribal employees with families or who plan to have families:
- We would like a policy like the Yurok tribes(see exhibit A) that allows babies in the workplace, per supervisor approval considering safety, for mothers and fathers.
- Separate leave amounts for fathers and mothers that does not take away from one or the other (paternity leave is important for maternal mental health, for breastfeeding support, and father bonding time)
- A minimum maternal and separate paternal leave amount of 8 weeks guaranteed separate from family medical leave.
- Remote options per supervisor approval for workers with children under 5 especially in areas where childcare is unavailable.
- Paid maternal and paternal leave separate from Family Medical Leave.
- On site breastfeeding allowed with a guarantee of 2-3 times daily to pump or breastfeed separate from lunch break (30 minutes each) and safe designated areas to breastfeed (as breastfeeding is recommended by the World Health Organization for two years for infant’s optimal health for their lifetime see exhibit C). This should include places for partners to be able to bottle feed.
- A guarantee that no parent will be fired for lack of childcare if none is available in their community.
- That council provide regular monthly updates on childcare facilities they are pursuing via the newsletter or social media so we can plan accordingly.
- Easily located resources like subsidized childcare options on the Karuk website and the employee handbook and known and promoted by Human Resources , all directors and supervisors for parent employees expecting a new baby.
- Changing tables in men’s and women’s bathrooms for employee and staff public use.