JOIN US to help safely re-open Gunnison County
Gunnison County has implemented a set of Public Health Orders that have created division and chaos in our beloved community. It is time for us to unite and tell them that collectively we will no longer tolerate ill-informed, non-evidence based decision-making that impacts so many... with so little consideration to all of the critical stakeholders here. While we understand the need for some response in this strange time... these measures, which were solely left to an unelected county employee, must be addressed and corrected if there is any hope that Gunnison County, the community and its many businesses will survive.
We are frightened and know you are too! Other counties are using a more proactive, multi-constituent decision making process which doesn’t take the easy way out like our Gunnison county officials have done.
However, we cannot do this alone. WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT!
Please join us in signing this petition, which demands County officials:
• Create a committee of experts to evaluate all decisions related to re-opening the County that considers ALL relevant stakeholders... from local business owners to second home owners and non residents IN COMBINATION with informed EXPERT-led public health policies.
• Remove illegal monitoring of any homeowners by local law enforcement and the entire exemption process.
• Develop a plan to protect the economic viability of our local businesses and tourism that allows a more reasonable, reimagined and realistic approach to re-opening. The plan must include highly defined, publicly stated, achievable metrics. The plan should recognize the inherent and inevitable inadequacies of our health care system in our small, isolated valley. Our current system will never be able to meet the State goals of having our hospital equipped to handle a surge in cases and our plan cannot depend on the unrealistic prospect of universally available testing in the near term or a vaccine by August.
• Present evidence in advance of any further Public Health Orders that justifies any and all decisions which are or will be made (no more guessing what might happen).
• Stop placing responsibility for economic decision-making in the hands of a Public Health Official who does not have the requisite experience or capabilities to make these decisions; much less in her “sole discretion.” These determinations have been made with ZERO accountability and have proven to have been damaging, unnecessary and in violation of individual liberties.
• Create true accountability for the ELECTED County Officials for the disaster created by their reliance on their appointed Public Health Director.
• Create a meaningful voice for second homeowners and other non-residents that considers and respects their contribution to the economy and community as a whole.
• Consult local businesses in ways they can participate in opening safely.
It is time for public official accountability and we are asking for your support in demanding it NOW. Thank You!