Reinstate JazzLive@theCrypt promoted by Jazz Umbrella
For 15 years, the Jazzlive@theCrypt has programmed highly successful Friday night gigs at St Giles' Church, Camberwell. For the last ten years this has been overseen by Jazz Umbrella*, but in July 2010, the Church decided to hand over management of the Crypt venue and its jazz promotion to a pub company, and told Jazz Umbrella to pack up.
Signatories of this petition agree that Jazz Umbrella
should be allowed to continue programming music in The Crypt because:
- Jazz Umbrella is best placed to promote a high standard of jazz and ensure fair fees for musicians.
- Jazz Umbrella has the experience of audience, local knowledge, profile and recognition to continue to keep the venue well respected for quality and value.
- Jazz Umbrella is a charity which can attract grants for music and improvements to this community venue.
- Jazz Umbrella does not seek to make a profit and can plough surpluses back into its work and in rent to the Church.
- Jazz Umbrella's long history of co-operation with and support from the Church community will ensure that the venue is respected.
- Jazz Umbrella's development proposal for management of
the venue will benefit both the church and the local arts community.
*Jazz Umbrella is a charity which supports musicians, promotes live jazz and seeks to bring jazz to new audiences through education, accessible gigs and the exploration of new technology.
CLARIFICATION: Jazz continues to be played in St Giles' Crypt on Fridays; although the creators and founders have been kicked out, Jazz gigs continue under the new management. We are not asking anyone to boycott the Crypt as that would not be in the interests of the Jazz community, nor are we asking anyone to boycott other local businesses. .
Jazzlive on Sundays gig info here