Petiton to Councillor Katherine Hobbs, Kitchissippi
156 people have signed this petition. Add your name now!
156 people have signed. Add your voice!
Maxine K. signed just now
Adam B. signed just now
Dear Councillor Hobbs,
We, the parent community of the Hilson Avenue Public School, are anxious to learn of what plans, if any, are in store for addressing children`s safe walk to school. There are grave concerns regarding children crossing Byron Avenue at the Hilson Avenue intersection twice a day without traffic calming measures for their safety.
As you will recall, these were brought to the attention of Mayor Jim Watson and to your office earlier this summer when students from Hilson School came to the City Hall building asking for safe route to and from school. Subsequently, you had promised to address the issue and specifically mentioned the option listed below as possibilities.
We are petitioning for installing one or all of the following traffic calming measures at the Hilson-Byron intersection:
1. Stop Sign: Currently, there are two on the north-south sides of the intersection; two on the east-west sides would solve the problem.
2. Crossing Guard: Woodroffe PS has a crossing guard on Lockhart Ave, within 50 ft of a stop sign, on a much less busy intersection.
3. School Zone Signs: There is only ONE school zone sign and more prominent signs are needed. Reduced speed signs, including flashing signals would be ideal.
4. Speed Bumps: Many speed bumps have been installed recently on streets in ourneighborhood Why is such option not feasible on Byron Avenue?
5. Other Measures: Mini-roundabout and crossing lines painted on the road had been suggested as additional measures to be considered.
6. Construction: Developers continue to use Hilson Avenue and Byron Avenue for their construction vehicles. This needs to stop. It is dangerous forvehiclesand children alike as it creates unsafe driving conditions, and increases risks towhichchildren are already exposed.
This matter continues to be of major concern to us parents and urge you to take the necessary measures to ensure that children can have a safe walk to and from school.
We sincerely hope that the right steps will be taken before a child gets hurt, or worse.
Hilson Avenue Public School parents
Ahmad Lutfi Parent of 2 Hilson Ave PS children