Help Dogs in Port Chester, NY
We, the undersigned, are petitioning for a new law in Port Chester, NY which will make it illegal to tether dogs and other animals unattended for long periods of time.
This law will improve the quality of life for both humans and dogs who reside in our community. We have the capability to reduce suffering and create a more desirable place to live by empowering our citizens and law enforcement to act on this cruel practice.
- Statistics show that tethered dogs are much more likely to bite or attack than untethered dogs due to their confinement and frustration
- Tethered dogs commonly bark incessantly and impact the neighborhood’s quality of life
- Tethered dogs are not able to run or protect themselves against other animals entering their space
- Tethered dogs can be stolen and used for animal research, illegal dog fighting, or worse
- Food and water left outside for tethered dogs can be spilled, frozen or eaten by other animals
- Tethered dogs are often left outside regardless of the weather condition and without adequate shelter
Currently, there are 19 states with laws that address the tethering of dogs. Additionally, there are 35 communities who created local laws that completely prohibit unattended tethering of dogs, and another 78 communities with local laws that limit the time dogs can be tethered.
Let’s all help Port Chester “break the chain” and join these other communities in improving our quality of life as well as the lives of dogs in our Village.