The University of Glasgow makes several efforts in their travel planning to make cycling easier and more accessible to their staff members.
Staff members enjoy the benefits of a cycle to work scheme, tax breaks on cycle purchase, lockers and the availability of offices in which they are able to store their cycle gear as well as the choice of 52 shower facilities on campus.
Attention to the student cyclists of the university community is lacking. Only a quarter of shower facilities on campus are designated for shared student and staff use and there is a great need for lockers for gear storage for students.
We are petitioning for the following improvements to the facilities available for cyclists on campus, to make cycling more convenient and safer for current and aspiring student and staff cyclists:
1. The provision of free or subsidised safety gear such as high-visibility vests, reflectors, bicycle lamps and lights as well as helmets for all that cycle to the university on a regular basis.
2. Guarded or more sheltered cycle storage facilities for staff and students.
3. Greater availability of shower facilities for student cyclists on campus.
4. The provision of lockers for cyclists on campus.
5. Better access to and a greater number of emergency repair kits.
6. Raise awareness to University management and encourage their support in campaigning for improved cycle infrastructure on common routes to and from the University campuses.
Thank you again to everyone who joined the Reclaim the Road event on Wednesday the 14th of March! A turn out of 50 plus cyclists! An exhilarating visible campaign for this petition, uniting the cycling culture of Glasgow on the road and at the feast which followed.
Coverage from STV Local News and more information available at guenvironmental.blogspot.com
Please sign this petition to encourage the University to improve the cycling facilities for students, staff and the local community!
Feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries.