LLDC: Further Consultation on Proposed Extended Conservation Areas, Fish Island and Hackney Wick
We, the undersigned, ask that the reference to Hackney Wick South is dropped from the proposed name for the extended conservation area in LB Tower Hamlets, that both conservation area documents are completely accurate; and support the request from the East End Waterway Group (EEWG) for the London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC) to locally list two buildings at 10 Stour Road.
The former works at 10 Stour Road was occupied from about 1953 to 1984 by printing machine and press manufacturers, Frank F Pershke Ltd. The two most important buildings are the two-storey c.1900 factory on the west bank of the Hackney Cut, and the two-storey-high engineering workshop on the corner of Stour Road and Beechy RoadThe c.1900 factory suffered general blast damage on 21 July 1944 when a VI flying bomb landed a short distance to the east in Glikstens’ timber yard. The factory was repaired and reinforced for Pershke Ltd. by the insertion of a very unusual reinforced concrete frame: with a concrete floor at first-floor level and a narrow flat concrete roof between timber roof slopes.
The engineering workshop with its exposed reinforced concrete frame and steel gantry beams was built for Pershke Ltd. An overhead travelling crane on the gantry beams was used to assemble the machines and presses. The former workshop is now a rare and important surviving example of its type in London.
The significance of both buildings is enhanced by the proximity of three purpose-built late-19th-century / early-20th-century printing works in Fish Island; a 19th-century works used by a Shoreditch-based printers from about 1907 to 1924; and a purpose-built early-20th-century printing works in Hackney Wick.