Free choice of legwear for all Irish dancers
We are against the mandatory requirement that all female Irish dancers over 18 (adults) must wear tights during Feiseanna!
The official rule as handed down from CLRG is as stated: "Female adult dancers participating in competitions entitled 'adult competition' and/or 'adult grade competition' (both solo and team) are required to wear tights of a denier not less than 70.(Colour and denier of tights clarified September 2015.)" Source: https://www.clrg.ie/images/downloads/CLRG_Presenta...
However, due to the varying degrees of interpretation of this new rule this was listed during the Prague Feis 2015: "Black tights are to be worn in all grades from beginners to Intermediate for adult competitions over 18. Ceili dancing for adults - black tights are to be worn. Open championships do not have to wear black tights"
Our main arguments are:
- This rule strongly discriminates against age, gender, dance level, and the ability to make sensible decisions at adult age. Everyone should be able to make a sensible choice between poodle socks, tan-coloured tights, and black tights to cater for their own comfort and adequate appearance on stage.
- Many dancers invested into expensive solo costumes, and some into hard shoes with white trimming at the top. Their overall look does not work with black tights.
- Tights will create unnecessary warmth, and both hard and soft shoes will fit poorly when moulded to feet in poodle socks. This impairs the quality of dancing at competitions.
- Turned out and crossed feet as well as overall technique are much more difficult to see when wearing black tights, especially since many stages have black floors and black backgrounds. In mixed age groups, adjudicators are able to identify dancers aged 18 and over. This may unintentionally impair the dancers’ results.
- Dancers competing in grades are required to wear tights, but are allowed to wear poodle socks when moving into or dancing at open championship level. This is illogical: dancers will still dance with the same legs in open. The quality of legs does not necessarily depend on age.
If you wish to support us, we do request that you leave your first and last names when you sign in for the petition. This is to ensure that duplicate entries are not recorded. You may still remain anonymous if you so wish. Thanks! :)