To Allow Leashed Dogs in Fond du Lac Parks
We, the undersigned, hereby petition the Fond du Lac,WI City Council for ordinance amendments to allow leashed dogs in designated areas of City parks as follows:
- All breeds of dogs are allowed in City-owned or operated parks at all times the parks are open to the public.
- Dogs must be kept on leashes of no more than 6’ in length.
- Dogs are to be allowed on all sidewalks, trails, and open greenspace or grassy areas with the park.
- Dogs must wear owner identification tags, current rabies vaccination tags, and current City of Fond du Lac pet license tags.
- Dogs must be under adult supervision at all times.
- Owners/handlers must immediately clean up any fecal waste from their dogs.
- Owners/handlers must prevent their dogs from digging holes and from chasing or disturbing wildlife.
- Service animals are allowed with their owners/handlers in all publicly accessible areas at all times the parks are open to the public.
We understand that certain limitations on dog access to City-owned parks is necessary or desirable for sanitary and/or safety-related reasons. We therefore accept the following restrictions:
- Dogs are not allowed in Lakeside Park during special events (Walleye Weekend, Art on the Island, Fondue Fest, etc.)
- Dogs are prohibited from the mulched, sanded, or rubberized surfaces of playground areas at all times.
- Dogs are prohibited from solid-surface sports courts (basketball, tennis, etc.) at all times.
- Dogs are prohibited from entering sports fields or tracks (soccer, baseball, football, etc.) during games or events at these facilities.
- Dogs are prohibited from entering the Lakeside Park Lighthouse, gazebo, bandstand, pavilions, water fountain features, petting zoo, and children’s amusement park area at all times.
- Dogs are prohibited from entering restrooms, concession stands, and other indoor park facilities at all times.
- Except in designated dog-friendly picnic areas, dogs are prohibited from entering picnic shelters. Dogs are not allowed on any tables or benches within City parks.
- Dangerous dogs, as defined in Fond du Lac Municipal Code §216-6, are prohibited from all City parks at all times.