Extension of enrollment withdrawal deadline
Ted Graf and the Board of Trustees, 5/12/2020
The re-enrollment contract that we signed for the 2020-2021 academic year states that we have until 5/31/2020to cancel without any additional financial repercussions. The contract states that we already are responsible for 25% of the upcoming tuition by having signed the contract prior to February 14th. Obviously, this contract was signed before the current pandemic presented itself, and was signed with the expectation of full-time, in-class hours at Headwaters. The validity of this contract is therefore something best left to legal counsel.
Given the effect the pandemic has had on what remained of the 2019-2020 academic year, we cannot help but be concerned about what will happen to Headwater’s academic programs in the coming year, and our resultant financial commitment. We feel it is unfair to be further contractually obligated to pay for a service that cannot be guaranteed. We understand that there are many unknowns concerning the coming academic year. However, we feel that paying full tuition for anything less than a full-time Montessori educational experience lacks consideration for the impact this will have on many Headwaters families. Therefore, we must ask that the 5/31 deadline be extended until the school has a clear idea of what its academic program will be. This will allow parents to make an informed decision on the proposed 2020-2021 academic program.
Due to the approaching deadline, your prompt attention to this matter with a formal, written response is requested.