Complaint letter ENGLISH EXAM IBMS YEAR 1 Q1
Dear Mr. Van Duivenboden, 9/11/2016
We are IBMS students of the First year 16/17.
We took our English exams but many of us feel treated unfairly because of the lack of clarity in the English exam organization.
Content of complaint:
1. We haven't been informed about a digital test in time. We received the information a couple of days before the exam and weren't explained how to use the tool and how the online test will be graded. In class we only did trial exams on paper.
2. When we did the diagnostic test at the beginning of the quarter, some of us scored 70 % but got a 3 or 5 in the exam last week. Most students were much better in a written test than in the digital test.
3. When we compared our exams, we noticed that we got different exams and want that to be checked again.
4. We think that English cannot be checked by a computer or just by excel. The reason for is that sometimes there are many possible answers which are grammatically right but the computer system does not accept this answer because it hasn’t been taken into consideration before.
5. There are only 10 % who passed the English exams, however, people scored higher on different kinds of international European test before entering Saxion which also means that the procedure of checking should be reviewed.
What we ask you kindly to change:
1. We would like our retake and next exams to be on the paper and to be checked by a teacher manually. As English is a language and not a multiple choice topic, many right answers can be marked wrongly. On a paper (which will be checked manually), fewer mistakes will occur.
2. We would like our last English exam from the 1st quarter to be checked again and not only through excel.
3. The vocabulary task was not clear to us. Some vocabularies were not in the modules we were given. We want the vocabulary task to be formulated clearer. The "If" clauses were not a part of this quarter but they were a part of the exam. Also there were double questions given in the exam. We want these points to be excluded.
4. We would like to lower down the 70 % mark. The failure rate is 90 and if we would have a 55 % mark we would get our motivation back.
5. We would like to get an extra chance besides the retakes. The online test has never been introduced to us and we haven’t been informed about the importance of full stops, points etc.
We kindly ask you to review our wishes and give us a response on that as soon as possible.
IBMS students 1st year 2016/17