Don't move Wilson Elementary to Staples Street
The 2014 Bond was supposed to build a new elementary school to replace and consolidate Calk ES (1954) and Wilson ES (1953), (not relocate it) and to build 4-lane tracks at all middle schools (where would Hamlin’s track be).
It is recommended that the Board of Trustees approve the Calk/Wilson consolidated elementary school be built on District property with frontage to Staples, behind Hamlin Middle School; and that Windsor Park Elementary School be built on existing site with construction to begin after students are temporarily relocated to the Wilson site after the new Calk/Wilson Elementary School is completed.
With Wilson and Hamlin being squashed together this creates many problems.
1. Increased bullying—Many of our students have experienced bullying by Hamlin students during running club and in the morning.
2. What would happen to the Athletic fields at Hamlin—Would they consider placing them on the current Wilson site after Windsor Park was returned back to their campus.
3. Traffic—It would be a traffic nightmare at Hamlin and Staples from approximately 7:30 am until 9:15 am and again from 2:30 pm to 4:30 pm. It would resemble the traffic nightmare at Staples and Texan Trail at Ray High School. Would they place a crossing guard there?
According to the District building on the Hamlin site:
ROTOTYPE SCHOOL FITS SITE
• NO RELOCATION OF STUDENTS REQUIRED
PREVIOUSLY DEVELOPED SITE ( ADDS LEED
REQUIRED RELOCATION OF HAMLIN MS ATHLETIC FIELDS OFF SITE
• DIFFICULTY FITTING ALL PROTOTYPE SCHOOL AMENITIES
• STREET FRONTAGE ON ONE SIDE ONLY
CLOSE PROXIMITY TO CCISD HAMLIN MS
Building on Current Site:
PROTOTYPE SCHOOL FITS SITE
• STREET FRONTAGE ON TWO SIDES FOR BETTER ACCESS
• PREVIOUSLY DEVELOPED SITE (ADDS LEED POINTS)
POSSIBLE RE‐USE OF EXISTING DRIVEWAYS
MUST RELOCATE STUDENTS DURING CONSTRUCTION
DEMOLITION AHEAD OF CONSTRUCTION = EXTENDED SCHEDULE